Find the answer to your Linux question:
The card in my router/server is dying and is in need of replacing. The onboard NIC provided by the motherboard in this box is only 10/100. My question is would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

question about gigabit NICs

The card in my router/server is dying and is in need of replacing. The onboard NIC provided by the motherboard in this box is only 10/100. My question is would buying two gigabit NICS for each of my computers be a waste or will I see a substantial speed increase between the two computers compared with with 10/100? If not I will just replace the one in my server and leave this box as is. Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    For a home network, 100 Mbit is more than enough. And I read Gbit NIC support under Linux is not that mature yet.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    if all that router/server does is route internet traffic then yes gigabit would be a total waste of money,

in my network my webserver, my windows 2003 DC have 10/100
    my main pc, my laptop (cause it came with it) and my 900gig file server (digital storage as I do alot of AV is on gigabit,
    my main router is 10base T (my internet connection is only 5megabit so why have a 100megabit card serving a 5megabit connection

hope this helps

Luma

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close