Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
this is my /etc/hosts file: Code: # /etc/hosts: This file describes a number of hostname-to-address # mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem. It is mostly # used at boot time, when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

this is my /etc/hosts file:
    Code:
    # /etc/hosts:  This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
    #              mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
    #              used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
    #              On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
    #              "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
    #              and any aliases to this file...
    # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/hosts,v 1.8 2003/08/04 20:12:25 azarah Exp $
    #

127.0.0.1       nod #this is my local hostname
    # IPV6 versions of localhost and co
    ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    if there is a line that is similar to my local hostname line, then changing the name after the IP address will make gnome happy...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

rounder...try this (as root or su):

Code:
    ifconfig | grep eth0
    And let us know if anything comes up with that...also, post the contents of your /etc/conf.d/net and /etc/resolf.conf.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Hi everyone,

Sarumont... RH 9 doesn't have a /etc/conf.d/net...

rounder.... lets back up a tad... RH 9.... ok.... click the following:

RedHat (lower left corner of desktop) ---> System Tools ---> Terminal

this will open a "terminal window".... the users interface with the "shell"... which accepts input on behalf of the user, and is interpreted by the kernel... which controls the hardware and system resources... anytime anyone tells you type at the command line interface (CLI), bash, bash prompt, command prompt, etc.... this is what you need to open.

Your terminal window should open with you as the regular user.... you'll need to "switch user" to the God account, or "root".... so in the terminal window, type:
    Code:
    su -
    when prompted, enter the root password. That should now give you a prompt that resembles "[root@pcname root]#" Be very careful what you type from here on... the wrong command issued as the "root" user can cause Big Trouble that leads to Bad Things... but I digress...

ok... so now we're logged in as root, at the command line... just for GP, at the command line, type:

Code:
    dhclient
    then type:

Code:
    ping www.yahoo.com
    If you get a response (reply from yadda, yadda), you're good to go, if not (one of several possible errors) proceed with the following:

In order to help you further, we need to know what a couple of your files contain.... so, at the command line type:
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    paste the contents of that file here.

then:

Code:
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    then:

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    If you know the number for tech support at your ISP, please try to obtain the following:

the DNS "nameservers" for your ISP... should be a primary, and a secondary... tertiary is not needed.

wether your ISP authenticates using dhcp, and whether or not they authenticate by IP or hostname.

If you can get that info gathered up, and paste the contents of those files, we'll get you connected.

Oh.... I've assumed that we have a patch cable from your cable modem, to the NIC (Network Interface Card) in this PC.... and that's a straight through cable, not a cross-over cable.

hth,

Phed waves

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2