Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
All i can say is, that if i was you would buy an external modem. I've been using the Intel 563ep (internal) modem, and the only distro i have had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

All i can say is, that if i was you would buy an external modem.

I've been using the Intel 563ep (internal) modem, and the only distro i have had it working on is fedora core 3. The intel drivers are partially proprietary making even compiling them difficult let alone inserting them into the kernel. I think this is not just an Intel problem, most of these internal modems that work under linux have very little support because they are originally meant for windows. Any drivers for linux are only released as kind of an afterthought, and even then they are restrictive and low quality. Go for an external modem and you'll save yourself a lot of hassel.

"skrye"

Just Joined!
    us robotics perforence pro modem (internal) works with linux and drivers provided as rpm file can be downloaded from website.

zoom also makes a linux compatible modem -- odel advertised on their website.

Linux Newbie
    Almost any modem should work fine in Linux, but I would recommend to avoid using Win/Soft-modems, they can cause sound problems while modem is connected or dialing and etc.

Just Joined!
    greetings

i use that amigo ca 95 serial modem from new egg. to date it works with suse 9.0 > 9.3 , mepis, vector soho 5, puppy and libranet
    regards
    dave

Linux Newbie

linux modem

If new to linux, I highly recommend DSL thru LAN.

IF not possible, then go dialup using an external serial port modem. ( not external USB - they are usually winmodems). Make sure your ISP is linux compatible. Whether winmodem or linux compatible, internal PCI modems can take days to set up if you have to locate kernel sources, drivers, etc. Drivers must be written for your SPECIFIC kernel.

1. external serial port hdwr modems require NO drivers
    2. these modems are generally faster than internal PCI modems
    3. they can be had for less than $5 at local thrift shops. if not google for Actiontech or Bestdata modems.

good luck

Just Joined!

hi

hi i m new in linux.
    i need to use internet on linux, i have intel chipset modem v.92 internal.

plz tell me how to install modem and use internet,
    thanx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2