Find the answer to your Linux question:
Alright, so I have a external serial modem, it has worked fine up until now. Last night, there was a thunderstorm and we had two power outages in pretty quick ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

External serial modem suddenly not connecting anymore

Alright, so I have a external serial modem, it has worked fine up until now. Last night, there was a thunderstorm and we had two power outages in pretty quick succession. I restart my computer, did a quick fsck, and everything seems fine.

Except one thing.

My modem won't connect anymore. It's attached to ttyS0, and when I run pon it just sits there. plog shows that it's sitting there waiting for OK and never getting it. Twice. it looks like this (paraphrased):

send ATZ:
    expect (OK)
    alarm
    send AT
    expect (OK)
    alarm
    script ip-up failed.

I am assuming that alarm means time-out, since it only appears after aboiut a minute of waiting, and that ATZ and AT are different initialization strings for the modem.

I know that the phone cable going to the modem is fine, because I plugged a phone into it and got a dial tone. I assume that the serial port is fine because otherwise it wouldn't be able to even get that far in the ip-up script, right? I don't happen to have anything else I could use to verify that the serial port is fine (unless there's some command line test I could do to check...my knowledge of the huge repository of command line tools is far from complete.)

I am running Ubuntu Warty.

So any ideas?

Just Joined!
    it's broken

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by junme
    it's broken
    Yeah, could be. If you don't have surge protection for the modem, that's a good chance. Maybe you should open the modem case and see if there are damaged components before you sell the modem on eBay (okay, that's not funny.)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better