Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Slackware 10.1 with the 2.4.29 kernel. The kernel is referred to as "vmlinuz" in /usr/src/linux. So I need to use the sk98lin driver for my onboard NIC. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with onboard NIC

I am running Slackware 10.1 with the 2.4.29 kernel. The kernel is referred to as "vmlinuz" in /usr/src/linux.

So I need to use the sk98lin driver for my onboard NIC. Well the NIC goes undetected when I load this module. I install the latest sk98lin driver and load it with modprobe. The module indeed loads but the NIC is still undetected. So I decide to make a patch for the kernel with the sk98lin driver floppy. I patch the kernel reload the module and recompile the kernel. Still no dice. So finally I load the module, re-compile my kernel from the ground up making the sk98lin module loadable and install the module permanently into the kernel, I install the kernel and point Lilo at it, reboot and still no dice. When I reboot not only does my module fail to load but it cant even be found. When I manually reload it from the floppy the module loads but cant see the NIC, and the module will stay loaded until I reboot then it is lost. When I do a ls /proc/net I can see it loaded there, but only if I load it with modprobe. The module does not load, or even exist upon boot. And even if it did it wouldn't matter, because the NIC still isn't being detected with it loaded. I do not know what I am doing wrong or if I am missing any steps. First one to solve my problem gets a large beer on me.

ls /proc/net/sk98lin shows eth0 and eth1 (even though I only have one NIC, so eth0 should be all I see)

ifconfig only shows my local loopback address, it does not display my NIC

What does this produce?
    Code:
    ifup eth0; ifconfig eth0

Just Joined!
    I switched NICs and all is fine. Thanks for all your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close