Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried this $ mount -t smbfs -o username=guest,password=guest "//nas/Disk1" /mnt/nas.dsk1 Error msg... could not resolve mount point /mnt/nas.dsk1 which i check oredi... the /mnt/nas.dsk1 is exist in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to mount a nas(network attached storage)

I have tried this $ mount -t smbfs -o username=guest,password=guest "//nas/Disk1" /mnt/nas.dsk1

Error msg... could not resolve mount point /mnt/nas.dsk1

which i check oredi... the /mnt/nas.dsk1 is exist in the correct format...what's wrong with this resolve mount point?

Anyone can help me with this?Thanks in advance.

Linux User
    Perhaps mount.cifs is what you need.
    # man mount.cifs
    NAME
    mount.cifs - mount using the Common Internet File System (CIFS)
    SYNOPSIS

mount.cifs {service} {mount-point} [-o options]

DESCRIPTION

This tool is part of the samba(7) suite.

mount.cifs mounts a Linux CIFS filesystem. It is usually invoked indirectly by the mount(8) command when using the "-t cifs" option. This command only works in Linux, and the kernel must support the cifs filesystem. The CIFS protocol is the successor to the SMB protocol and is supported by most Windows servers and many other commercial servers and Network Attached Storage appliances as well as by the popular Open Source server Samba.

The mount.cifs utility attaches the UNC name (exported network resource) to the local directory mount-point. It is possible to set the mode for mount.cifs to setuid root to allow non-root users to mount shares to directories for which they have write permission.

Options to mount.cifs are specified as a comma-separated list of key=value pairs. It is possible to send options other than those listed here, assuming that cifs filesystem supports them. Unrecognized cifs mount options passed to the cifs vfs kernel code will be logged to the kernel log.

mount.cifs causes the cifs vfs to launch a thread named cifsd. After mounting it keeps running until the mounted resource is unmounted (usually via the umount utility).

Just Joined!

my distro don't have this mount.cifs file system

Quote Originally Posted by Slip
    Perhaps mount.cifs is what you need.
    # man mount.cifs
    NAME
    mount.cifs - mount using the Common Internet File System (CIFS)
    SYNOPSIS

mount.cifs {service} {mount-point} [-o options]

DESCRIPTION

This tool is part of the samba(7) suite.

mount.cifs mounts a Linux CIFS filesystem. It is usually invoked indirectly by the mount(8) command when using the "-t cifs" option. This command only works in Linux, and the kernel must support the cifs filesystem. The CIFS protocol is the successor to the SMB protocol and is supported by most Windows servers and many other commercial servers and Network Attached Storage appliances as well as by the popular Open Source server Samba.

The mount.cifs utility attaches the UNC name (exported network resource) to the local directory mount-point. It is possible to set the mode for mount.cifs to setuid root to allow non-root users to mount shares to directories for which they have write permission.

Options to mount.cifs are specified as a comma-separated list of key=value pairs. It is possible to send options other than those listed here, assuming that cifs filesystem supports them. Unrecognized cifs mount options passed to the cifs vfs kernel code will be logged to the kernel log.

mount.cifs causes the cifs vfs to launch a thread named cifsd. After mounting it keeps running until the mounted resource is unmounted (usually via the umount utility).

I have checked my linux distro doesn't have this file system,so what else can i do?other than mount.cifs?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Guide

Can anyone tell me what should i look for before i mount a NAS?

/etc/fstab
    /etc/mtab?????

or any guide for mounting a NAS from scratch???

Your advice is valuable to me,thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    Ok a quick easy way... maybe not the best way but its easy. Make sure you have samba installed on your box. Then if you open Konqueror file browser you put in the address bar smb:// and then your nas name. For instance mine is smb://storage/HDD_a . You might need to try SMBcommander to find the exact address of your NAS but it works. On SuSE I believe there is a package for a Konqueror plugin.

For the most part this works. But it does not actually mount your NAS as a hard drive. You can move files to and from but, if you try to listen to an mp3 it will make you d/l it before it will play.

Just Joined!
    Using Fedora Core 6 and a Buffalo NAS, I use the following command to mount a share.

mount -t cifs -o user=<myuseraccount>,password=<mypassword> //192.168.8.3/<share> /mnt/<mountpoint>

Got it from FedoraFAQ's website.

Cheers

Just Joined!
    Actually I got it tweaked in my fstab like this

//storage/HDD_a /mnt/nas smbfs defaults 0 0

But the problem I have with that is that the system still make me do "mount //storage/HDD_a" Which is not a problem since I do not leave my storage on all the time. But unless I am running as root I can not delete anything from the storage device like that. If I use a browser I get more speed and I can delete what I want.

The only other thing I have noticed is that if you use the smb:// command in Firefox you can only download stuff from the drive. It comes up as a webpage.

But the Konqueror option is pretty easy.