3c509b-TPO initial config prob under RH6
I need help with basic network interface configuration on a vintage system. PC is a Gateway Pentium 60 MHz/64MB ram/2.1GB HD/3c509B-TPO. It's a former Win98 machine that I'm converting to Linux as a learning tool. I plan to use it for web mail and chat full time while I do 'real work' on another PC. May use it as a firewall learning platform.
Regarding my current problem, yes, I have RTFM as best I know how. I've searched HOW-TOs, FAQs, Linux books I have and other web sites.
I used the 3Com DOS utility to disable PnP and set the card to irq=10 io=0x210. Card passed all the utility's tests.
Onto a 'blank' HD, I installed RH6 from the CD included with Sam's _Red Hat Linux 6 Unleashed_ -- mostly because I had it! (And, yes, I do plan to upgrade as far as my hardware will allow -- once I'm on the network.) During the install I used the Workstation option and the card was detected. The machine boots and runs just fine (perhaps a bit slow). During boot eth0 doesn't initialize -- [Failed] message.
My home network includes a d-Link DI-514 4-port switch / router / wireless access point used to connect together two wired Win XP Pro boxes, a wireless Win XP Pro desktop, a wireless Win2K laptop and a DSL modem.
The d-Link is running DHCP for the windows boxes. I hard wired into the d-Link this static IP address for the linux box using the 3c509's MAC addr:
ifconfig -a shows only the lo loopback at 127.0.0.1, no eth0.
dmesg shows no attempt to start eth0 -- nothing at all about eth0. These lines are there:
Linux NET4.0 for Linus 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
Initializing RT netlink socket
Again, using the book, I checked the settings in these files:
All settings seemed to match what the book said to expect.
The book also referred to a file /etc/init.d/network that was not on my system:
I added it and ran ../init.d/network restart, but it didn't change my results.
From another site I got the info to add this line to the top of my lilo.conf file:
I added it and just rebooted, it still didn't change my results.
I can ping localhost, but can't ping the router, duh. For completeness I tried to ping .101 from the XP box with no joy.
Obviously I'm a newbie here and to linux, but I am enthusiastic! In my efforts to get started I'm out of places to check/configure, but I suspect that there's probably a fairly simple solution to this question. I must have missed setting a value in some file...
Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide!