Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Ok, for the modprobe ndiswrapper to work, you will need to have the kernel-sources package installed. It usually comes on the installation cd's of the distro or you can download ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ok, for the modprobe ndiswrapper to work, you will need to have the kernel-sources package installed. It usually comes on the installation cd's of the distro or you can download it from the internet and install it.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    Ok, for the modprobe ndiswrapper to work, you will need to have the kernel-sources package installed. It usually comes on the installation cd's of the distro or you can download it from the internet and install it.
    That's nice...but could you at least point me in the direction of where to find the package, and a semi-exact title. I already went into synaptic and installed anything with the word kernel in it....so maybe a link to a download and hopefully installation instructions?

Ok, I just did a quick google search and I came up with a link to ubuntu forums which explains how to get kernel and kernel-sources installed for your system.

Just Joined!
    after painstakingly searching for the source package I just saw in synaptic that it was already installed, as were kernel headers....however the kernel header was off by a little bit instead of being 2.6.10 like it should be it was 2.6.99 something and there was something about it being a development......

So right now I'm looking to figure out how to install kernel-headers-2.6.10-5-386

after I do that, I'm assuming modprobe ndiswrapper should work?

After I do that, what are the next steps to take to configure them? also someone else on an Ubunut forum mentioned something about ndiswrapper-utils

the kernel-headers-2.6.10 should be available in synaptic. But, I don't think they are required for installing ndiswrapper.

Since I am not overly familiar with Ubuntu, I don't know what this ndiswrapper-utils package is and what it does. However, on the official Ubuntu forums, I see that several people have got excellent howtos to get ndiswrapper and wireless cards in general working in it.

unknown
    I am having the same problem with Suse 9.3 and my wusb11 v2.6 wireless adapter. I have installed ndiswrapper and got it to work properly. Now the problem is that when ever I connect a my wireless access point using kinternet, the computer freezes up after a few seconds or if I try to run firefox or konqueror.

Just Joined!

Translate

Quote Originally Posted by theinvictus
    okay, some good news, and some badnews, first of all I typed in

sudo iwconfig and it gave me

lo: no wireless extensions
    eth0: no wireleess extensions

and one other one too, so I'm gonna asumer that the wireless tools package is already isntalled.

Next, I followed the instructions on installing my drivers (I took them from teh vendor cd, just copied the entire folder's contents on to a cd, and then copied them into the home directory, I did this to avoid the hassle of mounting my windows partition.)

All the commands worked, up until:

modprobe ndiswrapper

this gave me the following error:

FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper C/lib/modules/2.6.10-5-386/kernel/drivers/net/ndiswrapper.ko): Operation not permitted.

I followed that up by typing in:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

at this point my entire system froze, which leads me to an intruiging question, is there a ctrl + alt + del equivalent for linux, because I didn't know how to deal with my system freezing in linux and was forced to just push the power button.

So I figured I'd re-start in Ubuntu and try it again, this time all I entered in the terminal was:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

it prompted me for my password, which I entered, and then it just went to another terminal line. Does that mean it worked?

EDIT: Well I went back and clearly it didn't work as I have no connectivity, and the card still isn't showing up in the networking area. So I'm assuming the modprobe line is what gets ndiswrapper to load, and since that didn't work ndiswrappers isn't loading and my card's drivers still aren't been detected...any workarounds for this?

Also, what else, if anything do I need to do from here to get my card working?

Thnx for all the help,
    -TheInvictus
    Yo hice lo mismo que tu, y me salio el mismo error...instale los headers requeridos, y probe con los css y no funciono.
    Borre todo (no los headers), baje la ultima version de ndiswraper beta, per a diferencia de los pasos presentados en todos los manuales copie el ndiswrapper a la carpeta root, obviamente con sudo... Luego segui los pasos del manual y me funciono..... No se realmente que habra sido, si la version o copiar el ndiswrapper a la carpeta root, el tema es que me funciona.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2