Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there i have a really noobie networking problem that needs sorting! I was woundering if anyone can help... Around a week ago i installed a modem in my server ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Noobie Networking Problem!

Hi there i have a really noobie networking problem that needs sorting! I was woundering if anyone can help...

Around a week ago i installed a modem in my server machine.. when i turned my machine on i lost my existing network connection, the computer was not reporting this.. but i could not connect to anything on any other machine or go on the web etc.. however the network status said my network was operational. I then turned the server off and removed the modem thinking this would solve my problems as i have heard that modems can offen clash with networks.. (btw i am using an onboard network card) however this did not sort my problem and i was still unable to use the internet and my network.. i then performed a clean re-install and i still cannot connect! I am using fedora core 4 and i have check all the router settings and firewall settings!

Any help would be greatly thanked!

Dave

we need to to through and establish what works

is the card detected.
    is the kernel module loaded
    is the ip correct
    netmask
    (DNS , default gateway)

a good start would be to run as root , ifconfig -a
    Registerd Linux user #119296

Just Joined!
    The Network card is detected.

I am not sure what u mean about the kernel module?

The ip is correct and was the same one i was using before.. there is no ip clashing as i only have two machines using 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.4

DNS Details and gateway are correct..

what did you do when you 'installed' the modem?

did you just put the hardware there, did you set up an interface ppp0 or similar, change firewall rules for the new interface,
    add routes etc?

Just Joined!
    i installed the pci modem card and turned my pc on again.. i didnt see any new hardware detection or hardware wizard.. i didnt change any of the firewall rules either! even so should it still be doing this after a clean re-install!?

any ideas?

are we trying to fix the network problem, or discover what happened?

A clean re-install is rarely necessary (IMHO) Things rarely break by themselves and we know that your network was working , as this is a new install...
    shall we assume it was identical to before? so we should either be able to get the network going again... or the problem lies beyond your machine... and you have rebuilt for nothing...

Cheers Ian

ok By was the network card detected I ment can you see the card in the machine with something like
    Code:
    lspci
    (should show the hardware by name)

to get ifconfig -a to show it (so we can configure it) you will need a kernel module loaded,
    Code:
    lsmod
    will show you the loaded modules, but if ifconfig -a shows eth0 then the module is there so don't worry....

then it's a case of making sure the ip is correct, and netmask,
    The routing table needs checking,
    Code:
    netstat -r
    or
    Code:
    route
    and in view of what we said earlier.. on your other machine too,

then at least we will be able to ping between the 2 machines

Just Joined!
    thanks for the info i shall check out these settings 2nite when i get home..

Dave

Just Joined!
    i have fixed the problem! after look thru the settings i soon found that everything was working ok software end! I thought about maybe my bios settings altering themselfs after the modem was installed.. so i openned my case and cleared the CMOS. This then i think restored all the irq and settings?? if that makes any sence! my network is now working fine.. thanks for all your help!

Dave