Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hows it going everyone. Im not a linux newbie or anyhthing. In fact a couple years ago I was all about it. Unfortunately, since then Ive changed careers and since ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

help switching from STATIC IP to DHCP

Hows it going everyone.

Im not a linux newbie or anyhthing. In fact a couple years ago I was all about it. Unfortunately, since then Ive changed careers and since I havent touched linux in awhile. Im having trouble even with the simplest thing (use it or lose it I guess).

Anyways, Im changing network service providers which means im losing my static ip and getting a standard broadband cable dhcp account.

I have a dual homed linux server and a hub that I use as a rounter. Guess ill summarize the current setup real quick.

eth0 = xx.xx.xx.185
    eth1 = 192.168.0.1

Id like to make the transition as quick and painless as possible to:

eth0 = DHCP
    eth1 = 192.168.0.1

But right now I cant even get eth0 up and connected under DHCP, I need some help just gettting this far. I can just ifcofig it right?

I tried:
    Ifconfig eth0 dhcp

I also made the appropriate changes in:
    The /etc/sysconfig/network file should contain the following line:
    NETWORKING=yes

The /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file should contain the following lines:
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

I then rebooted but eth0 failed to come up. "network is unreachable" when i try to ping. Any help would be great.

also.. can someone jog my memory on how to start/stop network services so i dont have to reboot everytime i try and change something.

thanks

I think you also have to run...
    Code:
    /sbin/dhcpcd
    ...before it will make the connection...

It appears everything else you're doing is the right way to go. You might be able to glean further useful information from this. Sorry I couldn't help more...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    no way, thats a big help. Ill give it a try.

thanks for that useful link