Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I have just switched to linux, Kubuntu 5.0.4, I am simply trying to get on the internet. I have a RTL8139 series NIC and a SMC1244TX NIC both on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

newbie internet help

Okay, I have just switched to linux, Kubuntu 5.0.4, I am simply trying to get on the internet. I have a RTL8139 series NIC and a SMC1244TX NIC both on the same computer and I can't seem to figure out how I'm supposed to get one of them to work.

If someone would be kind enough to help me through this, I would be VERY GREATFUL.

Just Joined!
    have a look here:

http://ubuntuguide.org/

and scroll down to Networking.

peace V

Just Joined!
    Believe me man, I've looked all around there.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ubuntuguide
    Q: How to activate/deactivate network connections?
    1. Read General Notes
    2. System -> Administration -> Networking
    3. Network settings
    Connections Tab -> Select "Ethernet connection" -> Activate/Deactivate
    Q: How to configure network connections?
    1. Read General Notes
    2. System -> Administration -> Networking
    3. Network settings
    Connections Tab -> Select "Ethernet connection" -> Properties
    Connection -> This device is configured (Checked)
    Connection Settings -> Configuration: Select "DHCP/Static IP address"
    DNS Tab -> DNS Servers -> Add/Delete
    4. Read How to activate/deactivate network connections?
    Assuming that both of your NICs is detected by Ubuntu, you need to activate the one that's connected and then probably choose "dhcp" to let your ISP assign an IP address. How far did you get with these instructions? What is between your computer and the Internet? (router, university, whatever)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    there is a cable modem. that's it. the modem i have is a road runner cable/phone modem.

I'm just really frustrated. I would love to become a linux user and learn my way through things, but this one huge bump is discouraging.

Just Joined!
    can you see the router? First connect to the router, then worry about the router -> internet

Linux Guru
    With the cable connected to first one and then the other NIC, open a terminal console (the screen with a command prompt like this: [you@yourbox ~]$ )and then enter the command 'ifconfig eth0' and 'ifconfig eth1' and watch what you get. You should see several lines of text for each. In particular, watch for an IP address to be listed, along with a netmask and broadcast address. If there is no IP address shown then then the NIC is not configured. If you get an error message, then the NIC may not be correctly detected by Linux. Based on the results, you may want to decide which NIC you want to work with and remove the other.

It looks like both of your NICs use have the same chipset, so I think they might both use the rtl8139.o module? Do this command: 'lsmod | grep rtl8139'. Also, do this: 'lspci' and look for any mention of ethernet devices. Try removing one card, connecting the cable and then 'modprobe rtl8139'.

(Details will be more helpful than "it didn't work"....)
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

Just Joined!
    okay, i found the rtl8139.o module, i was wondering if you could give me an idea of exactly how to run this?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by x__dark
    okay, i found the rtl8139.o module, i was wondering if you could give me an idea of exactly how to run this?
    A good start would be to do as in the previous post. You didn't say where you found rtl8139.o. I could guess in your sources directory, or in the output of 'lsmod' or even on the web. It kind of matters where the module is if you want to know what to do with it. Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    With the cable connected to first one and then the other NIC, open a terminal console (the screen with a command prompt like this: [you@yourbox ~]$ )and then enter the command 'ifconfig eth0' and 'ifconfig eth1' and watch what you get.
    Can you manage that?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'