Find the answer to your Linux question:
Originally Posted by rogueattack Anyone know what that Code: Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension, but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18

Quote Originally Posted by rogueattack
    Anyone know what that
    Code:
    Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension,
    but has been compiled with version 17, therefore some driver features
    may not be available...
    means?
    i dont know but i have sofar ignored this with no problems
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

all it really means that some of the newer commands won't be available, iirc iwlist command only happened recently. But commands such as iwconfig wlan0 xxxx still will work.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    all it really means that some of the newer commands won't be available, iirc iwlist command only happened recently. But commands such as iwconfig wlan0 xxxx still will work.
    so alexk is this in the kernel that the newer version will be? or is this in the wireless-tools?

im pretty shure that wireless extensions are a part of the kernel but is this that the wireless tools arent taking adveatage of all of 'wireless extensions 18' 's capabilities yet?
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    it is not in the kernel, but rather in the wireless tools package. I met that error in Mandrake 10.1 and SuSE 9.2, but as soon as I installed a newer version (of wireless tools), the error disappeared.

As you said, it just means that the wireless tools package installed cant take advantage of wireless extensions capabilities. Theres nothing wrong with running an older wireless tools package, but since I don't like seeing error or warning messages, I upgraded.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    As you said, it just means that the wireless tools package installed cant take advantage of wireless extensions capabilities. Theres nothing wrong with running an older wireless tools package, but since I don't like seeing error or warning messages, I upgraded.
    Exactly!

and i got the bit about the kernel from the kernel email list i forget the maintainers name that takes care of the wireless extensions
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules