Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to mount my home workspace on a Windows server into a local directory. I can access the directory by typing smb://[servername] into Konqueror so I know that access ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mounting a Samba

I'm trying to mount my home workspace on a Windows server into a local directory. I can access the directory by typing

smb://[servername]

into Konqueror so I know that access is not a problem. I'm just wondering if there's a way to automount at startup, kind of like 'Map Network Drive' in Windows.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Newbie
    You can mount smb share at startup by editing /etc/fstab file, something like this, never tried though...
    Code:
    <hostname>&#58;/source/path/ /path/to/mounpoint smbfs username=user,password=pass
    or invoke the same command manually
    Code:
    mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=pass //hostname/share /mnt
    Read man fstab and man mount (or smbmount). smbmount does the same as mount but with filesystem type "smbfs" defined implicitely.

Something's not right. Here's what I'm getting:

Code:
    Iago&#58;/home/sean # smbmount //bullwinkle/home/scolgan /home/sean/CSMEG_scolgan/ -o username=scolgan,workgroup=csmeg
    Password&#58;
    8409&#58; tree connect failed&#58; ERRDOS - ERRnosuchshare &#40;You specified an invalid share name&#41;
    SMB connection failed
    But...

When I just connect to //bullwinkle/home (ie. not my home directory, but the one above), it mounts just fine, but then tells me that I don't have permission to access it, which is true.

It's telling me that the full path to my home directory on the server is 'an invalid share name', but the one above it is ok?

Anyone have any thoughts?
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    ERRnosuchshare (You specified an invalid share name) is an exhausting error message enough to troubleshoot the problem.

You have //host/home sharepoint which you can mount, but to which contents you don't have access permission. //host/home/user is a subfolder, and you can't mount it due to permission restrictions. Either you have to give appropriate permissions to parent share, or add this subfolder on //host computer as another sharepoint and access it via //host/user.

I can access my home directory via Konqueror by typing:

Code:
    smb&#58;//bullwinkle/home/scolgan
    into the location bar. And I can mount it in Windows via 'Map Netowork Drive' no problem. So I'm not sure it's actually a permissions issue.

The manpage for smbmount talks about providing the 'service'

SYNOPSIS
    smbmount {service} {mount-point} [-o options]
    I've been assuming that this is just the server's name and path to the directory. The manpage for smbclient says that it needs 'host/service' and gives the example of 'servername/printer' to access printing on that server.

Is there a particular service associated with simply mounting an smb directory?

Thanks for your help.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------

Just for future reference. I got this to work.

The problems were:

1) I had to get the Sys Admin to share my home directory explicitly so that it would be visible directly under the server. Apparently you can't mount a subdirectory of a share.

2) I had to use cifs instead of smbfs because there are some issues with W2k3 Server and smbfs.

Here's what I do:

Code:
    mount -t cifs //bullwinkle/scolgan /mount/bull -o username=scolgan%<password>,uid=sean,gid=users
    I'm now getting the problem that although it appears that I have full access to the files (ie. 777), I am unable to write to the mounted directory, from root, or anyone. Read is fine, but no write.

I'll keep plugging
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------