Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I belive that I have stuffed up here. Ok what I need is help on how to set up a network so that I can share and read the other ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to Start

I belive that I have stuffed up here. Ok what I need is help on how to set up a network so that I can share and read the other computers files. I have got my router working and now I have not got a clue where to start next. All I want is to have a normal network running it seems hard.

Linux Newbie

Re: How to Start

You must install samba client in order to view windows network shares. To share files on your PC install samba server or NFS server. man samba, man nfs, man exports for details.

Just Joined!
    I think I have done that I have clicked on everything there and made some moderations, could you recommend a good site with the step by step instructions.

I don't know what I am suppose to write for host name, would it be the network name or my computers name in the network.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisbane
    ...could you recommend a good site with the step by step instructions...
    Google is the best site on step by step guide for installing and configuring samba but take a look at this link also http://us2.samba.org/samba/

Just Joined!
    So do you know how to set up a network, SAMBA it gives me the message that it reads windows files. I don't have windows in my network and it won't go in my network it is a all Linux network.

NFS server what it is that?

Linux Newbie
    Ok, then use NFS. Take a look at this post, describing actions to setup NFS server and mount NFS shares on client.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-54599.html

Just Joined!
    I need to connect Linux to Linux I don't want to connect Windows to Linux.

So Linux to Linux is the one I am looking for here I need to setup it up somehow.

Linux Newbie
    Did you read that post? It describes connecting Linux to Linux, if you want to call it that way. NFS server on one machine and client on other, both linux machines.

Just Joined!
    alright, I think I missed that part thanks for your help I'll keep you posted, is there any chance that you could hire someone to do this for me because it is doing my head in?

Linux Newbie
    Do you want me to hire someone to keep me posted or to configure your network? I would have to regret in both cases

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast