Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, I've been messing with SAMBA ever since I bought my first Linux distro, MDK 8.0 powerpack, back in early 2002. I've read all sorts of things, some of which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SAMBA, revisited

OK, I've been messing with SAMBA ever since I bought my first Linux distro, MDK 8.0 powerpack, back in early 2002. I've read all sorts of things, some of which I think are outdated, but not sure. I've even used a samba.conf file posted here, and modified it for my IP's and machine names, but I still can't share files across my network

I think part of myprob is in my interpretation of naming conventions. I've had some classes in networking, but it was in a very MS biased school, and I never actually saw our network work there, under W2K. The instructor assured us that it did, but...

Anyway, all of my Win PC's are 9x and I use "2001" as a workgroup name. What do I need to have as my FQDN for my MDK 9.1 install in order for it to be OK with my windows workgroup, or does it even matter?

BTW, I know I have connectivity, because I can share the web across the LAN, and I can ping any of my PC's from any other. Right now, I'm using static addressing in a class A network, with a class C subnet mask. nothing really fancy, and I only have 5 PC's total, with an occasional PC getting worked on for a friend.
    I prefer to do things in a GUI, but I'm not afriad of the command line.( I don't understand it as well, yet, but I'm not going to learn any younger, eh)

do you use the host name when mapping the network drive from windows or the ip address?

Just Joined!
    From Windows, I generally just use 'network neighborhood' and search for the machine name if not listed already. I'll need it more to move files from win to lin really, at least for now.

When I shut down my MDK9.1 box, I get a 'failed' report from xinetd. Everything checks OK on boot.

I have what would be netbeui names/IP's in my lmhosts file. This machine is 'named' VIA in windows, with 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 IP. In linux, its linux.2001.hall.com, with 10.0.0.10 as an IP

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierSAO
    I have what would be netbeui names/IP's in my lmhosts file. This machine is 'named' VIA in windows, with 10.0.0.1/255.255.255.0 IP. In linux, its linux.2001.hall.com, with 10.0.0.10 as an IP
    Remove them, you shouldnt need them.

What i would do:
    1) Remove samba from inetd.
    2) Kill any smbd and nmbd processes
    3) run "smbd -D ; nmbd -D"
    4) run "netstat -an | grep LISTEN | grep tcp | more" - check for port 139, if its not there, samba didnt start proberly.
    5) From windows, start -> run -> "\\10.0.0.10"

----
    If that does not do the job.. paste your smb.conf, paste output received when running "smbd -D ; nmbd -D", and paste output of "netstat -an | grep tcp | grep LISTEN | more".

TIA

Jason

Just Joined!
    May take a week or so to get back here, but I have your suggestions on floppy ready to go to linux when I reboot again.

Thanks, and I really hope this helps

Just Joined!
    OK, lets see if my format conversion trick works

Console output:

[xavier@localhost xavier]$ netstat -an | grep tcp | more
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:960 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32769 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:2049 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32770 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:631 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:7741 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

smb.conf:

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
    [global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    guest account = baduser
    security = user
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    encrypt passwords = yes
    load printers = yes
    passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n *passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*success fully*
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    guest ok = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    dns proxy = no
    netbios name = celeron
    netbios aliases = via
    server string = File Server
    printing = cups
    default = var
    unix password sync = Yes
    workgroup = 2001
    os level = 20
    auto services = global
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    max log size = 50
    pam password change = yes
    hosts allow = 10.0.0 127.
    password level = 4
    username level = 6

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    valid users = %S
    create mode = 0664
    directory mode = 0775

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    # Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
    printable = yes

[var]
    path = /var
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    [root]
    path = /
    writeable = no
    guest ok = no
    [RootHome]
    path = /root
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no

Yipee!! BTW, Big_k105, i used inso's 'quickview plus 4.0.1' to open the text, and copied selection. I got QV from my OEM copy of Corel Suite8.

After i ran the smbd and nmbd commands,They reported 'command not found. I rechecked the package manager and found I had uninstalled the server portion of SAMBA when I put RH7 on my other box, hoping that a fulltime SAMBA server may help. This box occasionally runs 98SE. SMBA server package(s) reinstalled now. Forgot to copy output from the re-run of those, but if I remember right, it just came back to bash with no output. port 139 was listed in the re-run of the 'netstat...' command

No metion of SAMBA in inetd, and still getting a 'failed' response from xinetd on shutdown. Also, getting a 'failed' response from automount about half the time on shutdown. All respond 'OK' on startup.

Still no browseable shares, from either direction. I can still ping the IP's either way, and the 'run-> \\10.0.0.10 produces an error from the 10.0.0.2 box(Pent 133, win95B, if that makes a diff)

Just Joined!
    Hey, I'm making headway, I think.
    I have my PC's listed in the others file browser, and even have a drive listed under /mnt in my MDK 9.1 box. Still no file shares, tho

I'm using the 'depends on password' setting on my win95 box's shares. Is that part of my prob?

From the win95 box, the linux box appears under both of it's names, but no directories, just the PC itself.

I consider this a major accomplishment, as i have never gotten this far before!

Any ideas what else I'm missing?

Wow your using win95 does that even have network capiblitys? I suggest upgrading to a newer version of windows it will get rid of most of the pain.

Just Joined!
    Well, I've tried running 98 on it before, but that causes probs with my burner and software combo. That is a Memorex 4-2-24, and NTI 3.x (Can't remember the specific version number, but pre-2K) The only other burning app that I can get to detect it has been CloneCD, and can't create my own discs with that.

The 95B OS does have networking, and works well with the rest of my network. I can even burn files from another box across the network, in windows (BTW, to the best of my knowledge, all windows OS's after 3.1 have peer to peer networking, including WFW 3.11. That one does require the addon on a TCP/IP stack. I have that on a seldom used AST Bravo, running at 4MHz (Ancient DOS games))

So is the peer to peer networking one of my probs? I don't have, or want, a 'NT' server anywhere in my network.