Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 9 of 9
I am currently posting from the Windows parition on my computer, which has Windows and Fedora Core 3 on it. The one with fc3 I equipped with ndiswrapper(wlan0) and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    108

    Internet is broken...again...


    I am currently posting from the Windows parition on my computer, which has Windows and Fedora Core 3 on it. The one with fc3 I equipped with ndiswrapper(wlan0) and I got my wireless LAN to work. The device is active. However, when I am activating it, it says something like "Set Encode: SET - Invalid Argument" but it still activates the device anyway.

    So I did a ping google.com and it worked. Don't know what that means, though.

    Then I did firefox google.com and it said "done" but it showed no page. I then did konqueror google.com and got an error saying host could not be found.

    I did all the iwconfig stuff, so I know the wlan is okay. Or at least I think so. But what about the Internet? I need it. It was working this morning, but then I did an su -c 'up2date' on the kernel.

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    what exactly is being outputted when you try to ping google? also what does iwconfig spit out?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    108
    Pinging google just outputs the normal output - the packet was sent, received, 0% loss, 1000 milliseconds or so. I don't have the exact text with me, so I'm saying this from memory. It keeps pinging until I C-z.

    iwconfig gives configuration information about wlan0. wlan0 is configured properly (I use wlan0, not eth0), but the web browsers known as Firefox and Konqueror are not showing the web pages. They say 'Done' but no page is shown. Normally, if there was no internet connection, a dialog box would pop up saying "google.com could not be fonud. try again." or something like that.

  4. #4
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    check the connection settings in web browsers such as firefox and konqueror. Also if you have setup a wired connection, temproarily bring it down so that system knows it has to use the wireless connection. (Do this even if cable is not plugged in).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  5. #5
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    108
    I have no wired connection. I am entirely reliant on wireless for the internet connection.

    And what do you mean "connection settings"? The internet was working this morning. I was able to ping things this afternoon, but I was unable to browse the web. Now I am unable to do either.

    This is very irritating.

  6. #6
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    in firefox, it is something like edit -> preferences -> connection

    when the internet stops working, try pinging something also, are you using dhcp to get your ip address? if so, run dhcpd from the command line to get a new address.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  7. #7
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    108
    I am not using dhcp. Pinging is not working now.

  8. #8
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    hmm, try bringing down and up the wireless interface with ifup and if down commands when that happens.

    Also, edit your /etc/resolv.conf file as root and add this entry to it:
    Code:
    nameserver your_ap's_ip_address
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1
    I was recieving the "Set Encode: SET - Invalid Argument" error on my wlan0 interface after installing ndiswrapper, the driver, and all of the appropriate things. I found it to be because of this: in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/keys-wlan0 file it was giving my WEP key as KEY=s:thekey. The s: is the code to use to treat the key as an ascii key, when the default for the router is hex. As soon as I removed the s: everything worked like a charm. I'd ripped apart my ifcfg-wlan0 file line by line, and tried everything I could think of before I found that... so anyone having a similar problem check your keys file... and try removing the s: if it's there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •