Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, this is not really a NFS question, but it should be put inside a context, and what i am trying to do is share directories between my laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NFS mounting

Hi guys, this is not really a NFS question, but it should be put inside a context, and what i am trying to do is share directories between my laptop and my linux box, both having Fedora and using NFS.

So, a bit of background. I have made sure i have NFS service running, i have configure the shares with 'system-config-nfs' and the only thing left is to mount the share into the client machine. Here's the problem, the mounting. I have read this example http://searchenterpriselinux.techtar...110924,00.html, and the problem here is here: he mounts using redken:/ and so on and so forth with the rest of the code, but i have no idea what to put in my command instead of redken. So, the question here is: how do i find out what to put there in the mount command? Evidently this has to be performed in the server computer which has the directory with the files that are going to be shared.

And if by any chance, the text we find is like 00e0924, i wanna know how to change it so i can use my name or my computers name or some other name that i choose for that matter.

Thanks for the help!

You would normally use the hostname or ip address of the machine that is exporting the files.

if you want to use 'yourserver' at '192.168.0.1', you could do something like this in /etc/fstab on the client machine:

192.168.0.1:/home /home nfs rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0

then mount with:

mount /home

Alternatively, you can specify the NFS directory in /etc/fstab with a hostname like this:

yourhost:/home /home nfs rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0

and add a line like this to the /etc/hosts file on the client:

192.168.0.1 yourhost.yourdomain yourhost
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

That's the only way to do it?

If you check the example there you will see that somehow he got that redken in there in the command line prompt. Do i need to mount and do all that stuff just to put that name there and use it to name my computer?

Don't get me wrong, i appreciate your help, but it seems to go around too much for such a simple task. I read somewhere that the ip address can be used. Probably i'll give this a shot as soon as i get back home from work.

If this is the only way, then i'll do it.

Thanks for the help man. :P