Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, this one really has me stumped... both me an my parents run webservers at our home, port 80 is forwarded to my server, which uses proxy passes to redirect ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Bizzare server issues

OK, this one really has me stumped...
    both me an my parents run webservers at our home, port 80 is forwarded to my server, which uses proxy passes to redirect to the other servers in the house. Each server has the apache conf set up to forward to other servers in case one ever goes down, port 80 can be pointed to any other server.

Well, I took my server down to format it, and redo my server with debian instead of fedora, but when port 80 was pointed at the other server, our webpages are no longer accesible form outside the house. Inside, everything works fine, but outside our network, nothing works.

Anyone have any idea whats going on?

Linux Engineer
    Wouldn't you need to config your router/firewall so it forwards port 80 to the other box?

How can a dead box tell the other box "hey im dead, run apache for me" if that box is dead?

serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux User
    i did point the router at the other box

Linux Engineer
    Well, the router must forward all traffic that goes to port 80 to the machine that is running Apache, otherwise the outside world won't be able to see it.
    serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux User
    both machines are running apache and are fully capable of hosting a web page without the help of the other box. this was set up initially so that if one box went down, the other webpage woud remain up.