Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I want to be able to use a KVM switch to go back and forth between 2 pc's, one with WINXP and the oteher with Linux,(have not decided on which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KVM Switch Using Win & Linux

I want to be able to use a KVM switch to go back and forth between 2 pc's, one with WINXP and the oteher with Linux,(have not decided on which version yet). But from what I can find only the Zonet and some Belkin switches work. I need USB and audio.

Do you mean a switch that will facilitate USB and sound devices, or that actually allows USB/sound ports to be switched when the KVM is switched? I don't really understand the question. Any KVM should work with any OS (despite what they say) as they all bluff a signal when switching to prevent any confsion to the plug and play system.

Re: KVM Switch Using Win & Linux

Quote Originally Posted by eboyjones
    I want to be able to use a KVM switch to go back and forth between 2 pc's, one with WINXP and the oteher with Linux,(have not decided on which version yet). But from what I can find only the Zonet and some Belkin switches work. I need USB and audio.
    I use a KVM switch on my desktop all the time. I have an Athlon-2800+ on one side of the switch, and an Athlon-1100+ on the other side. And it works great for switching between PCs. It has no problem switching from Linux to WinXP.

But my switch is strictly KVM (ie keyboard, video, mouse). There are also switches that do USB switching in place of standard mouse/keyboard connectors, but I know nothing about them. As for audio, why not have separate speakers. Speakers are cheap. And besides, with duplicate speakers, its nice to hear a "beep" from the computer you don't have active on your monitor, to let you know it needs attention....

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The audio is strictly for sharing speakers, not sharing sound devices. The USB would be for if I have a USB keyboard or mouse.

Until now I have had seperate PC's with their own keyboard, mouse, etc., but now I am trying to consolidate space at home.

But it is funny that when you read the spec's for the various KVM switches only Zonet and a few Belkins advertise they will work with Windows and Linux.

oldpc what brand of KVM switch are you using? And I agree speakers are cheap, but I am restricted in how much room I have at home.

KVM switch - tidbits

I use an Aten CS-62 KVM.

I switch between PC's via my scroll lock key (press it twice quickly in succession). There is no physical switch on the KVM. I have the KVM lying out of site on the floor somewhere. It works great, and I have never had a problem. I believe a key feature to look for is "keyboard and mouse emulation" (or something like that) to ensure the mouse/keyboard are electronically buffered. In the early days, this wasn't a feature, but I think most if not all KVM switches have this now.

A small tidbit:

When I first installed the KVM I was very conservative. If I was reinstalling WinXP or Linux, or playing with a boot CD, I would take the KVM out of the circuit. ... (ie switch OFF pcs, crawl on the floor to remove connectors, ... etc ... ) and install with only one PC wired.

No more.

I now leave the KVM connected to both PCs, and install. All the time. The 2nd PC may be on or off. I don't care. The KVM looks after it for me.

Both WinXP and Linux (all the distributions I have tried) can identify my monitor, even with the KVM in the circuit. And I have never had a problem with the keyboard, nor the mouse, nor the monitor. This was true for my old Phillips 15" CRT, and now true for my new Fujitus Siems 19" TFT. But I don't use a USB mouse nor USB keyboard.

Edit - I'm having trouble posting (finger trouble), and I think I mistakenly deleted an earlier post of mine.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all, you were all very helpful to this newbie!

Just Joined!

Software KVM

Found this about a sofware KVM.

Havent tryed it out yet, but I will as son as I have
    put my brand new Atlon64 box together.

A qick guide:
    http://www.togaware.com/linux/survivor/Synergy.shtml

A more detailed guide:
    http://jonsthoughtsoneverything.com/...m-for-synergy/

And the actuall website of the program itself:
    http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Have a nice day /Masarin

Funny I am reading this...I just installed a KVM last weekend.

I just picked up a PS/2 only from Best Buy, it was an IOpen or some brand I didn't recognize. It said for windows only, but I figured that wasn't the case, as it was just PS/2 ports...

They had some to toggle between a USB keyboard, but I felt safer with PS/2...anyways, it has been working nicely for a week now and it saved me having to buy another monitor!

Also, I didn't need to reboot or anything, I just switched all the plugs around when I got home with both PC's on...it is really very easy.
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

KVM switches are great for multiple PCs

Quote Originally Posted by deek
    Funny I am reading this...I just installed a KVM last weekend.

I just picked up a PS/2 only from Best Buy, it was an IOpen or some brand I didn't recognize. It said for windows only, but I figured that wasn't the case, as it was just PS/2 ports...

They had some to toggle between a USB keyboard, but I felt safer with PS/2...anyways, it has been working nicely for a week now and it saved me having to buy another monitor!

Also, I didn't need to reboot or anything, I just switched all the plugs around when I got home with both PC's on...it is really very easy.
    My "biggest regret" (if one can call it that) about my KVM, is I didn't buy one to handle 4xpc's, instead of just 2 pc's. I like to play with multimedia, and on more than one occasion I have had both my pc's running 100%, and thinking how nice it would be to have a 3rd or 4th pc ....

Yeah, I saw those 4 PC switches also...the only thing is, my other two computers are laptops...

I have one hooked to an external monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse through a docking station and my G3 floating around downstairs, all WLAN...so, at this time, I really only have the 2 computers that I would even think about hooking up to the switch...made my decision easy to stick with just two:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast