Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, Can anyone telll me how to connect to the internet by using ethernet card.I am using 2.4.22 version Thanks...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

internet with cable modem

hi all,
    Can anyone telll me how to connect to the internet by using ethernet card.I am using 2.4.22 version

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    What's the make and model of your NIC?
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by borromini

Just Joined!

Re: ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter

Quote Originally Posted by adityakant
    Quote Originally Posted by borromini
    ADMtek AN983 10/100 PCI Adapter

Linux Enthusiast

Last time I tried

Last time I connected to a cable modem over a network card, I just plugged it in and It Just Worked (tm) using dhcp.

There are a few problems you could run into:

Some ISPs only allow a particular NIC to connect to their network, identified by MAC address. If you have used this modem with a different PC then you will need to tell the ISP or change the MAC address on the network card.

Some ISPs use a network setup so your computer wont be able to work out the routing by itself. If that is the case do you have another computer that works so we can pull the settings off of.

The importants questions are:

What exactly is the problem, who is your ISP, and what is the model of your cable modem.

Linux Engineer
    As did mine. Cable doesn't require any setup AFAIK. Only thing you need to get up is your NIC .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    The main problem when connecting ethernet card on Linux is that either Internet cable provider uses DHCP or they give you a Static local IP type 10.x.x.x

Now you need to know that iptables is configured bu default to use the Default Getway in the same network group as the IP you are obtaining from your cable internet provider

Example:
    Your IP : 10.1.1.x
    Default Getway : 10.1.1.x

Know in order to solve your problem you need to enter either the same netowrk group IP ( if your cable internet provider alows you that ) or you need to add few lines in your routing table so internet could work properly.

Try entering the same IP group adress for instance if your Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1 then you need to specify the netwokr address from the same network class 192.168.1.x

If this is not working or you have a DHCP i sugest you take a look at iptables settings and add a route from Default Getway to your IP address you get from you Cable ISP.

Let me know if this worked so i could post a settings for IP tables