Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody, I want to create a hard-wired/wireless network between: Linux desktop P4/2.0 Ghz 512 Mb with SuSE 9.3 kernel 2.6.11.4-21.9 and Gateway Centrino notebook with wireless card and Win ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Network Linux box with Win XP laptop

Hi everybody, I want to create a hard-wired/wireless network between:
    Linux desktop P4/2.0 Ghz 512 Mb with SuSE 9.3 kernel 2.6.11.4-21.9 and
    Gateway Centrino notebook with wireless card and Win XP Home SP2
    DSL connection is currently used by Linux box only via Ethernet card

I know through research that I need Samba to communicate and share resources between linux box and windows laptop. Here is the question: Linux offers samba client and server, which one should I install ? Do I also need to install Kerberos in my Linux machine to add extra security to my network or not?
    I'd also like to find out if anybody knows of a good,price reasonable,reliable,linux-compatible broadband router that I can use to share DSL connection between computers and if you do in which of the two computers should I load software that comes packaged with router? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Just Joined!
    Samba:
    client to allow using other machines resources via smb protocols
    server to allow other machines to use your files/printers

Router for sharing - lots of options, but you haven't limited it to any geographical region (you live in Abyssinia perhaps?)

Kerberos - your choice, depending on what you view as the risks

HTH

If you setup IP forwarding/masqurading on the SuSE box (sorry I haven't attempted this before), you should be able to get away with it. Basicially, I think it is setup in the firewall configuration utility in Yast. Once that is done, tell the windows machine that its gateway to the internet is the address of the SuSE machine. However, you won't be able to use the net on your laptop if the SuSE box is turned off.

And for wired/wireless routers,all of them will work with linux (Routers operate independant of the OS). Most of them only require an initial wired connection to setup the router and then you can just use the wireless part for the laptop. There are plenty of wireless routers available for much less than US$100, perhaps you should check out your local computer store for a deal.

Oh and samba is for sharing files, printers and stuff like that, not for ICS.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close