Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, i want to setup a dhcp server from scratch, so i installed the "minimal package" option on RH9. Pls what packages do i need to install so as to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

setup of dhcp server

hello,

i want to setup a dhcp server from scratch, so i installed the "minimal package" option on RH9.

Pls what packages do i need to install so as to get myself started..
    at least to be able to ping another computer on my LAN

toks

Linux User
    You'll need a package called dhcpd. You have that read up on these two hows to, it should give you an idea of what to do.

dhcp how to one
    dhcp how to two
    Linux networking how tos
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Newbie

Linux Server from Scratch

thanks winter for the replies...

i actually followd the "Linux Networking How tos" and was able to set up static ips on my linux box, on eth0. from there i could ping my winxp PC to and fro....

ill check out the dhcpd links....

pls, how do i enable "telnet" on my server....as in i want to be able to "Telnet" into the Linux server from my winxp PC. What packages do i need to install.

thanks
    Toks

Linux User
    instead of telnet you may want to use ssh, theres a ssh client for windows called putty. ssh comes standard with most distro and is invoked by running the following command as root with out the hash. You may also want to consider a up to date linux distro, suse if ye want a gui or debian if you dont mind cli.

Code:
    #/etc/rc.d/init.d/sshd start
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Newbie
    hello winter,

thanks....but pls note that im trying to setup a linux server/router from scratch...i did not install x during my install of the "minimal install" option on RH9..so im trying to do things from the command line, perhaps i could learn some few stuffs.

i just wanted to be able to telnet into the server from a computer on my LAN etc.

Pls with this my kind of install, would i have to write scripts for mounting floppy disks, cdrom etc? i read some stuff on such on a google site i found during a search.....

thanks
    toks

For mounting devices, you should just be able to use the mount command. As far as setting up the DHCP server, you would need to install the dhcpd package and then edit the /etc/dhcpd.conf file to make the server "fit" your network. After that, you can start up the server with /etc/init.d/dhcpd start and you're off and running. Since you're booting into runlevel 3, you will also want to place a symlink to /etc/init.d/dhcpd in your /etc/init.d/rc3.d directory so that the daemon will start at boot.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Linux Newbie
    hello Flatline,

your repply was quite clear except this part:
    Since you're booting into runlevel 3, you will also want to place a symlink to /etc/init.d/dhcpd in your /etc/init.d/rc3.d directory so that the daemon will start at boot.
    pls how do i implement such...as in place the symlink

toks

You could just navigate to the runlevel's directory (which I think would be /etc/init.d/rc3.d or /etc/rc.d/rc3.d, but it's been a while since I used RedHat or Fedora) and create a link with something along the lines of
    Code:
    ln -s /etc/init.d/dhcpd S65dhcpd
    The S indicates to the system that the daemon should be started at boot and the number indicates what order the daemons are started in.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson