Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Networking involving a NAT box and Linksys router.

I have been trying to establish a network that involves a NAT box and Linsksys router.

Here is the current setup:
    I have a high speed internet connection (from wall outlet connected to eth0 of my NAT box - a Fedora Core 4 Linux box). eth0 is configured with a static IP. There is another network card eth1 in the NAT box that goes to the WAN port of a Linksys router (Model WRT54G). I have connected 2 other systems to this router using ethernet cables.

I need to access the internet from the computers connected to the Linksys router. (FYI, I want to use the wireless functionality provided by the router. If this was not the case, I could go ahead and use a swtich as you would all agree ).

Current IP address assignment for these cards and router:
    NAT box:
    eth0 - Static IP
    Mask -
    Gateway -
    DNS 1-
    DNS 2 -

eth1 -
    Mask -
    Gateway - eth0
    DNS 1-
    DNS 2 -

Linksys Router -
    a) (as seen from outside)
    (assigned a static IP)
    Mask -
    Gateway -
    DNS 1-
    DNS 2 -

b) Router IP -
    Mask -

Computer 1 connected to the router -
    Mask -
    Gateway -
    DNS 1-
    DNS 2 -

a) With this setup, I am able to ping to,,, and to the static IP assigned by the ISP( that is of eth0).

b) I have created IP tables that will allow traffic from internal n/w.

c) I am not able to access the internet from the m/cs connected to the router.

If anyone can help me with the configuration, I would greatly appreciate this. Or if you can direct me to any resources that talks about this kind of stuff, I can read them.

Thank you

Is there an easy tutorial on this anywhere... I am having the same adventure... Everything can ping everything internally - but, the only box that can reach the "outside" is the router box...

The Keystone State
    What does your firewall rules look like that allow traffic out and the replies back in?

The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

4. $spacer_open