Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to get my wireless card working with suse9.3. I've searched around a bit and have found that I have the right flavour of card (version2.0, made in taiwan) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wireless NETGEAR WG511 -- can't find prism54 drivers

I'm trying to get my wireless card working with suse9.3. I've searched around a bit and have found that I have the right flavour of card (version2.0, made in taiwan) and I've found that I need the prism54 drivers from http://prism54.org/, but I can't find where on this site (looks more like a forum to me) to download the files!!!

Can anyone point me in the right direction to d/load the files, and to somewhere I can find a good howto to get this working.

I've also seen some hints that I would have to recompile the kernel if I had 2.4..., but my kernel is 2.6...., so maybe don't have to??

Any and all advice is really appreciated
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Search in yast for prism drivers and firmware. Be sure to check the discription box before searching.

And, you don't have to recompile your kernel or anything. Once drivers and firmware is installed, simply find out what the driver is called from that guide and enter this in the network card config page under hardware details.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Thanks AlexK,
    I searched in yast for prism drivers and came up with a driver for "Intersil's Prism 2/2.5 chipset", which is not the right one. I also searched for "netgear" and "wg511", with no luck.

I am using the following installation sources,
    1/ packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/9.3
    2/ ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-guru/rpm/9.3

Would I have more luck adding extra installation sources, or should I be trying something different??
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII

http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-23875.html
    The instructions are for yoper but it should work with suse.

i just compiled it in the kernel for when i had one of thease it is natively supported in the kernel
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

You mean a 2.6 kernel will already have support compiled into it and I just need to d/load the firmware and put it in the hotplug folder??

You need to make sure that it is compiled into the kernel ( which it probably wouldn't be, by default )

I've left this for quite a while, but I've returned to the task of installing this thing (on gentoo this time not suse). From my searching around it looks like I have to,
    1/ Re-compile the kernel with support for Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo PCI/Cardbus -- DONE
    2/ Install the firmware from http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/1.0.4.3.arm into /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/-- LINK IS 404 Can anyone email this file to me?? PM me if you can.
    3/ Add an entry for net.eth1 (or whatever) to /etc/init.d
    4/ Add a few lines to /etc/conf.d/net

Does this sound right?? Have I missed anything?? Can anyone email me the drivers??

Thanks guys