Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Hi there, thanks for the tip and I'll try to switch off this IPv6, although I wouldn't have a clue how to do this. I'll ask in the chat. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Last reply

Hi there,
    thanks for the tip and I'll try to switch off this IPv6, although I wouldn't have a clue how to do this. I'll ask in the chat. But to the question: I don't get any message at all, because it doesn't really do anything for the longest time. I just won't work.
    I'll try this just now and I'll tell you the result...
    dengar.

Just Joined!

Switching off IPv6

Na,
    sorry man. No success. I couldn't get it running with that tip, dude. Was a good try nevertheless.
    I think my RTL8180l chipset is just to troublesome as that I can get it running. I'll sell my old card and get a new one from somewhere. Definetly no RTL8180 chipset no more.

Any other cards seem to work fine. I'll make sure I can get drivers that a compatible with the ndiswrapper.

This will probably be a wireless mystery never to be solved. Unless you wanna have the card urself and try it out.
    Till tomorrow 10 am GMT the card will be free for anyone contacting me regarding this forum. You just have to pay the postage and handeling. 5.00 to anywhere in the world.
    All the best, thanks for all your help!
    Chris

Just Joined!
    i think this is more of an issue with SUSE 10

I'm running an athlon 64 with an DWL-G122 USB NI - on installation it works fine, it even connects to internet to check for updates and says success.

but when you go into desktop, for some reason it doesn't connect correctly to the ap, on running kinternet it sees the ap, and says its associated, but the signal strength always reports '0', even though it detects everything, if scan i detect ap and connect but within a few seconds its down again.

I know its not my ap or my ni at fault as in windows it is all fine

i did notice that it autoset the driver to rta2570 when usually it runs from the 2500 driver on previous versions of suse

regards
    walkerx

Just Joined!
    well, its totally weird now

my post above was done in windows as i couldn't get the network connected under SUSE as normal user or even logging as root user from start.

I had tried everything deleting configs, redoing, rebooted, etc, etc to no avail

just rebooted back into SUSE to try some other stuff and it's working now (I'm in SUSE at mo writing this), not sure why that is

regards
    walkerx

actually still reports 0 signal quality, but forgot to mention i disabled the linux firewall earlier

Is your router a "G" rather than a "B?"
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    yep

its the DSL-G604T

using wep security as have an iplayer+ which only uses wep

regards
    walkerx

The first wireless setup I had was an Orinoco Gold 802.11B with a Linksys G router. Everything worked perfectly. I then bought three Netgear MA311's also 802.11B and had problems almost exactly as you describe yours. For over a week I pulled my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was. The Netgears worked with a borrowed 802.11B router, and my Orinoco would work with a wireless G router, but no matter what I tried, the Netgear cards would never work with the Linksys Wireless G. Everything appeared to be working perfectly, yet I couldn't connect to the Internet. I finally came to the conclusion that for whatever reason I don't understand, some Wireless B cards and PCMCIA's just don't play well with Wireless G routers like they will under Windows.
    I don't know if this was the same as what your problem is, (was) as I never got mine resolved. I'm glad you got it working though. It's a good feeling to get it sorted isn't it?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    yep,

it is a good feeling, especially as i couldn't use SUSE 9.3 64bit because it wouldn't work with my NI

when i had my 32bit system SUSE 9.3 was fine, installed without any problems

regards
    walkerx

Just Joined!
    I have been using Suse for a little while now and ran in to the same problem. For some reason the connection script for the wireless card won't setup a route if the wired NIC already has one for the same subnet. As a work around I set the startup mode for eth0 to 'manual'. Then when I plug in the wireless card the script sets up the route and the necessary entries in /etc/resolv.conf. To test this theory, take out the wireless card. Then run ifdown eth0 as root. Next plug the wireless card back in. After the initiallation sequence, run route -n or netstat -rn. You should now find that the default route for 192.168.1.0 is associated with wlan0 instead of eth0. Also make sure that wlan0 is setup as an external interface in the Yast firewall module.
    Hope this helps.

Have you tryed rebooting your router, I used to have the same trouble any time we added a new wireless pc to the network ,
    we turn all the pc's on the network off and then turn the router off for 5 minutus and then turn the router back on then the pc's , somtimes we had to do this a couple of times

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5