Find the answer to your Linux question:
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! i installed smoothwall on an old pc. I set it up as dhcp. It works fine after i changed the settings to reflect the changes that smoothwall made, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

HELP!! SmoothWall works with Win, but not with FC4?!?!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

i installed smoothwall on an old pc. I set it up as dhcp.

It works fine after i changed the settings to reflect the changes that smoothwall made, but ONLY Windows works with the net.

Fedora refuses to do anything with the connection except get the right ip address. Firefox won't work, neither up2date.

what do i need to do? i dont want to use dodgy Windows, i want to use the wicked Fedora!!

any help appreciated
    weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

if the fedora box gets the ip address, what you should do is use the route command to add the smoothwall box as the gateway to the internet. Or using fedora's network configuration tool, enter the ip of the smoothwall box as the gateway.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

the only way i could get it working was to disable dhcp on fc4 and specify an ip using a manually-configured ip from my smoothwall box.

there must be some way i can an re-enable dhcp with it working

if windows can do it why can't fc4?
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmm, normally I would say stick with a static ip as a dhcp server just adds another layer of complexity to the whole network.

Have you tried running dhcpd or dhclient to make your computer get an ip address from the server? Also is either of those services being started on boot time?
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.