Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ah has your isp already locked the cable modem to a mac address(hardware address of ethernet cards)?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

ah has your isp already locked the cable modem to a mac address(hardware address of ethernet cards)?
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Are both the network cards using the same chipset? If so, it can be quite an adventure getting the right one in software config.

Use the redhat network tool in RH9 ('redhat-config-network') to configure the network interfaces, turn them both onto DHCP, plug the one you want as your external interface into your cable modem, reboot (or restart your networking layer with 'service network restart'), and see which one is given an IP address. You can configure your way out from there.
    hah i got 3 with the soame chipset and they know whe they are
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Not getting IP from Cable Modem

Quote Originally Posted by winter
    ah has your isp already locked the cable modem to a mac address(hardware address of ethernet cards)?
    BINGO!!! That was it. Though, I don't think it's locked, since I can get the IP on my Windows XP system, but with Red Hat it doesn't like. I borrowed my mate's Little Blue Router and presto, it gets an IP!

Well, thanks to all who replied with suggestions!

Now, I'm installing IP Cop with the 2 NICs. Wonder if it'll like the cable modem......

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2