Find the answer to your Linux question:
this is kind of embarassing. I'm playing with Mandrake 9.2 on my PC and I'm attempting to get my Lucent PCI modem working. So I downloaded the correct LTMODEM RPM ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mandrake 9.2 where does it keep the modem stuff?

this is kind of embarassing. I'm playing with Mandrake 9.2 on my PC and I'm attempting to get my Lucent PCI modem working. So I downloaded the correct LTMODEM RPM from our friends in Germany. It installed no problems, and I now have the usual stuff in /etc/modules.conf and /dev/ttyLT0.

When I run Mandrake's hardware config/info program (in Gnome 2.4) it says that it is there. BUT when I run the Mandrake netwrok setup wizard, it sees the Lucent modm (winmodem), but says that it can't use it.

So, my question is :-
    where does Mandrake keep it Gnome modem stuff? I had expected it in /etc/wvdial.conf , but this doesn't seem to be used.

thanks in advance
    Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    try looking in /usr/share/Gnome that's where all the Gnome files seem to be on my system (Gentoo 1.4)...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

found it.

The work around is to say to the Mandrake wizard that you have a "noraml" modem. It then gives you a screen of possible devices that this normal modem may be. The first on the list is /dev/modem , which the LTMODEM RPM created a symlink to /dev/ttyLT0 . Once I selected this, the rest was easy.

as to the files. Well they're kept all over the place. The password stuff was put into /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (my link uses PAP as opposed to CHAP for the password and userid stuff). The stuff that I expected to find in /etc/wvdial.conf turned up in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 and chat-ppp0 .

thanks for the help

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close