Find the answer to your Linux question:
I now have ssh connection thru Konqueror between the following PCs, but no 'net sharing. PC1 Mandriva 2005LE eth0 is NIC --> DSL modem configured as DHCP dynamic during setup ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Internet sharing [SOLVED]

I now have ssh connection thru Konqueror between the following PCs, but no 'net sharing.

PC1 Mandriva 2005LE
    eth0 is NIC --> DSL modem configured as DHCP dynamic during setup
    eth1 is NIC -->hub --> PC2 confgured as static (192.168.10.1)

PC2 Mandrake 10.0
    eth0 is NIC -->hub-->PC1 configured as static (192.168.10.2)

Have tried internet sharing with MCC on PC1, but the Mandriva documentation does not help by saying "fill out these boxes with info from your administrator".

I have set these up using GUI and have heard it is not good to mix with CL. If I alter the static network to DHCP for internet sharing I lose the ssh connection.

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

How about DSL --> hub --> eth1 + eth0. Otherwise a proxy like squid may work

Linux Guru
    You need to set up IP forwarding and Masquerade. IP forwarding must be compiled into the kernel. It probably is, but you should check: read up on it and you'll find how to check (I'd say but I don't remember). For masquerade, either download Firestarter or some other friendly iptables tool or follow the very straightforward instructions here. Note that manipulating iptables as described there is not persistent: you'll have to re-configure after booting. That's the good news and the bad news: you have to reconfugure, but you won't permanently screw up anything (at least not by following the HOWTO!).
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie

internet sharing

Thanks for the help. At this point my internet sharing is now working, but am confused as to why.
    Played around with iptables, routing , etc for a while, but I got the urge to look into firewall.
    MCC has a question under firewall: Which services would you like the internet to connect to?

And a checkbox for "everything" (no firewall). You would think that this setting would allow for open and free networking and sharing, but apparently not. As soon as I unchecked this, and checked DNS, webserver and echo request, I had internet sharing with my PC2.

Can someone please explain how this firewall checkbox list works? MCC documentation doesn't cut it.

Also, under MCC security, I could swear there were permissions , user, and firewall settings. Now I only have firewall. Is this MDV 2005LE defaults, and am I thinking of MDK 10.0?

Thanks