Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to do this? I have a windows XP computer with a broadband connection with the modem connected via ethernet. I *can* plug it in with USB, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Help with networking

Is it possible to do this?
    I have a windows XP computer with a broadband connection with the modem connected via ethernet. I *can* plug it in with USB, but i don't know if it'll work like that. I want to network my linux computer with this one. I have a network card in my linux computer but i don't know if it works and i can connect them with a 15 metre long cat5 cable i bought also. I would really want to share the internet connection with my linux machine and my other one, but is this even possible, and will it cost any more?

Linux Newbie
    One of the 2 machines will have to have 2 network cards and be set up as a NAT server. Both Linux and WinXP are able to do this, but I'd recommend using the Linux box as a server due to stability/security issues.

The setup of the server will be quite simple: one network card will be connected to the broadband modem and it will have the IP/mask assigned to you by your ISP. The second card will have a private IP address (this is very important - this link explains private IPs).

The second machine will also have a private IP that must be on the same network as the first (if you don't know how IPs work, just use 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 with the mask 255.255.255.0 for private IPs). To connect the 2 boxes you either need a hub/switch or a crossover cable.

All you need to do now is to configure the server to forward traffic coming from it's second network card... I'm not sure how Win does that (I think someone told me it starts forwarding automatically... but don't take my work for it cause I'm really not sure). If you decide to use the Linux box as a server you'll need to configure the forwarding between the two cards. This is done by using
    Code:
    iptables
    If you're not familiar with iptables, you might want to give firestarter a try (it is a very friendly GUI for iptables). Firestarter will also help you set up a firewall using iptables.

I hope this post was at least of a little help

Good luck!
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Linux User
    You could buy yourself a cheap router. Then you just have to plug both machines into the router, and the router into your modem. If both machines assign ip addresses with DHCP you should be able to access the internet immediately.
    registered linux user: 387197

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbaloo
    You could buy yourself a cheap router. Then you just have to plug both machines into the router, and the router into your modem. If both machines assign ip addresses with DHCP you should be able to access the internet immediately.
    That is, of course, the simplest and fastest solution, but from Game master pro's post I understood that he wanted the cheapest solution.

I already have a crossover cable. I tried getting a router first but they were too expensive for me as im only 13 years old, but i need the modem plugged into my win xp computer because it's my dads. What i want is

(i was bored so i drew a picture)

(poo the picture didnt work)

1 is my linux comp 2 is this one and the + is the modem. the === is the crossocer cable. This is how i want it to be and i want to share the internet connection from 2 to 1 but i don't know how. I don't think my linux computer will be a good server because it's only 366mghz with 128mb of ram.

Linux Newbie

Sharing Connection

I would investigate the USB connection for the Broadband Modem first. If you can do that then the crossover cable would work just fine to network the computers together and do Internet Connection Sharing in XP.
    Edward
    GNU/Linux is a powerful Free OS. Fear is a powerful motivator. Freedom is sweet. Fear GNU/Linux. Savor Freedom.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Game master pro
    I already have a crossover cable. I tried getting a router first but they were too expensive for me as im only 13 years old, but i need the modem plugged into my win xp computer because it's my dads. What i want is

(i was bored so i drew a picture)

(poo the picture didnt work)

1 is my linux comp 2 is this one and the + is the modem. the === is the crossocer cable. This is how i want it to be and i want to share the internet connection from 2 to 1 but i don't know how. I don't think my linux computer will be a good server because it's only 366mghz with 128mb of ram.
    Code:
     + &#40;< modem&#41;
     |
     | &#40;< straight cable&#41;
     |
     2 === 1 &#40;< your Linux box&#41;
    &#40;^ your dad's box&#41;
    This is how you wanted it, right? The sollution is in my first post (or, it is in Hiko's post if the USB connection between computer and router can be used for data transmission).

Good luck and keep us posted

I have had an idea that i'm thinking about, but don't think that can be used for data transferring, just sharing the internet here is a pic