Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all: I already have a wireless card in my computer, a Belkin Pre-N desktop card (that plugs into PMCIA slot), however, I cannot find 64 bit drivers (let alone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64 bit FC Wireless Drivers

Hello all:

I already have a wireless card in my computer, a Belkin Pre-N desktop card (that plugs into PMCIA slot), however, I cannot find 64 bit drivers (let alone any kind of Linux drivers) so I figured I might as well go out and buy something that does and use it only for Linux. So I was thinking the best thing would probably be to go with one of those usb wireless devices (cards?) so that I could easily remove and plug in.

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these, especially with a 64bit distro, such as FC 64-bit.

Thanks,

John

Wireless + 64 bit OS == bad

Unfortunately as you and I have found out, wireless support for 64-bit OS's is nearly non-existent. The only wireless chipset that I have heard of which work with a 64-bit OS are some broadcom chips and some Raelink chips.

With broadcom, you will need ndiswrapper to get it working, preferably a version > 1.4, and you may have to compile it rather than use an rpm. With the Raelink (I think they are a branch of Realtek), they have some linux drivers, but ndiswrapper may be a safer bet.

Brodcom cards are pretty common, but I don't know which ones have 64-bit drivers, and the Raelink based cards are extremely rare, I have yet to find a commercially available (which I can buy) card which has this chipset.

When I say 64-bit OS, I include XP PRO 64 bit, as well as 64-bit linux distros.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    i have the DWL-G122 USB Adapter by D-Link

this uses the ralink driver and works fine under SUSE 10.0

I did have problems trying to get it to work under FC4 though

regards
    walkerx

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    walkerx, have you got the card to work in 64-bit mode?

Just Joined!
    yep under SUSE 10

My full system specs are

MSI K8N Neo2 Plat (NF3 Ultra)
    Athlon 64 3000+ (Venice)
    WinFast A400 GT (Nvidia 6800 GT)
    1gb Corsair DDR
    1 x SATA Seagate 250GB
    1 x IDE Maxtor 200GB
    SB Audigy (1394) S/C
    1 x DVD-RW (NEC 4550)
    1 x CD-RW (Lite-On)
    Logitech Desktop 700 (USB Mouse/Keyboard)
    Prolite E435S 17" TFT
    DWL-G122 802.11g Wireless USB Adapter

my router is a D-Link DSL-G604T, using static ip and wep security

The NI use the ralink module 2570, previous versions it uses the 2500 module

regards
    walkerx

Just Joined!
    Interesting, I may have to do a little more research. Is there any way to tell if a product has a certain chipset before I make a purchase. I have looked through the ndiswrapper site list but some have multiple entries and different chipsets for the same card. I may just have to try it and see if it works and if not back it goes.

And walkerx were you ever able to get it to work on FC4? You said you had trouble but were you ever successful?

Thanks,

John

yes, a lot of models have multiple entries in the ndiswrapper list. So far this is the only way to determine wether a card uses a certain chip.

Also some manufacturers have on their websites various ways of telling which cards have have same model, but different chips. You could always email customer/tech support and ask them if they knew...

Just Joined!
    nope i never got it working under FC4

also the adapter i use is rev B

my onboard ethernets worked ok though, but I didn't want to use them

regards
    walkerx

Just Joined!
    Hi walkerx,
    I've installed opensuse 11 on an amd64 machine and so far no success with my wireless card! However I think I can borrow the adapter you have and try it out. I'm a complete newbe and have never installed or configured a driver: could you outline the steps you used??

Thanks.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums, Allan1964!

Please start a new thread of your own describing any problems you are having because this thread is almost 3 years old, and it's been over 2 years since walkerx last visited here.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
    oz