Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Hello all, I've installed the Netcomm NB5Plus4 Modem/Router with the aim of connecting a W2k PC and an Ubuntu PC to the Internet. I have configured the network card on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5

    Internet Connection with Ubuntu


    Hello all,

    I've installed the Netcomm NB5Plus4 Modem/Router with the aim of connecting a W2k PC and an Ubuntu PC to the Internet. I have configured the network card on the Ubuntu PC so that it has a dynamic IP allocated to it from the router. I am able to ping the router, the W2k PC and even managed to ping my ISP. My problem is that when I start up Firefox I cannot get the Internet.

    Please note that I'm a newbie in the area of Linux so please refrain from slapping your forehead at my stupidity if I have done something really basic.

    Cheers

    Hellcat

  2. #2
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    what does pinging google result in? i.e. what is result of this command:
    Code:
    ping -c 4 www.google.com
    If it gives unknown host, launch ubuntu's network config utility and enter the addresses of your isp's dns servers or the ip address of your router in the nameserver field.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hello

    Yes, I am able to ping google successfully.

  4. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    enter the addresses of your isp's dns servers or the ip address of your router in the nameserver field.
    btw: I had already done this...

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Actually... managed to access some sites but then can't access others, I get time outs quite regularly.

    Anyone know how I can do a traceroute?

  6. #6
    Linux Guru AlexK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,379
    for traceroute, try:
    Code:
    man traceroute
    i.e. essential syntax is traceroute host_name
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

  7. #7
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South India, 79 E 11 N
    Posts
    109
    type about:config in the addressbar of mozilla firefox.
    scroll down to
    network.dns.disableIPv6
    right click on the value and set it to true.
    close the tab.
    restart firefox

    this worked for me.

    tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

  8. #8
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    YAAAAAY! That was the trick! Thanks a heap, much appreciated!

  9. #9
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South India, 79 E 11 N
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcat
    YAAAAAY! That was the trick! Thanks a heap, much appreciated!
    thanks!
    this is a curious problem.
    in windows the default remains the same at false and it runs well -no problems.
    in some other lkinux distroes too it has the same setting but runs well.
    in ubuntu and suse it does not run or runs slowly or partially (some time one connects some times not). one changes the value to true and yaaaii!
    i just dont understand why this is so.
    hope some moderator or geek throws some light on it!

    tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

  10. #10
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    106

    Linux and ipv6

    This may throw some more light on it, maybe not. I installed Suse 10 with
    Gnome and got my wireless card (DLink) working. I then tried all the 4
    browsers that Suse installs. I could browse using Konquerer but Mozilla,
    Firefox etc. all timed out when trying to connect to sites.
    I tried the trick of entering the DNS nameservers directly into the resolv.conf
    file but this just stopped all of the browsers working.
    Then reading through some forums for other versions of Linux I came across
    the suggestion that turning off ipv6 could solve internet problems and gave
    a way of doing this in the /etc/modprobe.conf.local file. However this file
    only exists if you can successfully do a modprobe on the network card
    driver file. Then you can turn off ipv6 in the network cards driver by
    entering two lines in the /etc/modprobe.conf.local file.
    This seemed to work like a charm. Now all the browsers worked at an
    acceptable speed. However I wasn't satisfied and decided to try the track
    the problem down further. There were suggestions in some forum messages
    that the problem was caused by some ISP's nameservers not supporting
    ipv6 properly. The I read a post in an ubuntu linux forum that suggested
    that turning off ipv6 was not a good idea and could cause problems for
    other utilities that try to receive packages from the internet. This post
    also suggested that the software on certain routers was the cause of the
    problem and that updating the router firmware could be the answer.
    So I updated the firmware on my DLink G604T wireless router and
    reversed out the changes that turned off ipv6. Now all the browsers work
    even faster than they did in Windows Xp.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •