Find the answer to your Linux question:
Let me try this again. I posted something a while back, but I never could figure out what how to fix the problem. I am unsure exactly what to post. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

networking woes

Let me try this again. I posted something a while back, but I never could figure out what how to fix the problem. I am unsure exactly what to post. So I will give a description of the problem and await a response asking for more information. I am willing to provide what you need to help on this.

Here is the setup. I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop. Currently 1 laptop is dual-booted (WinXP/Fedora Core3). The other 2 computers are strictly WinXP. I want to network all 3 computers. I have 2 printer connected to my desktop and want to be able to share those with any computer. Under WinXP this is not a problem and is working fine right now. So my problems comes in with the Linux. I need to have my Linux connect to either computer and share files, and the printers with the desktop.

Again, I do not know what information is needed to help fix this problem. I have read extensively the Samba documentation, but honestly it did not help me too much.

One other question. Once everything is configured and working, how do I access my WinXP computer. I know that in Windows it is done with Network Neighborhood. What does Linux use.

Thanks in advance,
    thornaj

you need to get a router or a switch, then connect all computers to said router/switch. set all computers to obtain i.p. address by dhcp.with the windows p.c.'s set up file & printer sharing & set up any shares .on the linux box set up your shares for using samba.once all connected, in linux to see whats on the windows p.c.'s type in the address bar
    smb://address_of pc_you_want_to_view_files
    on the windows just use network neighbourhood. this is a very brief way just to give you an idea how to set up your network( someone may have a better way )

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Just Joined!
    I can access now access my desktop. My next question is how can I setup and access the printers connected to the desktop computer.

Thanks again
    thornaj

Linux Newbie
    If you're using Gnome, go to Applications->System settings->Printing... the wizard should do the trick.
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

Just Joined!
    Worked great.

Thanks for the help.

thornaj