Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have seen this problem posted a few times, but I have never seen an answer. I have searched a few different Linux forums and exhaustively Googled the problem, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Madwifi - Checking if all requirements are met... FAILED

I have seen this problem posted a few times, but I have never seen an answer.

I have searched a few different Linux forums and exhaustively Googled the problem, but again, I have only seen the problem, but never a solution.

I am hoping someone who has experienced this problem was able to solve it and can pass their wisdom on to me!

Here are my specs:

Suse 10
    Kernel 2.6.13-15
    Gcc Version 4.0.2 20050901
    Wireless Extention Support installed
    Sharutils 4.5-2
    Crypto API Support present
    PCMCIA attempting to install: Atheros Netgear WG511T SuperG 108 Mbps 802.11g
    Dell Inspiron 4100 Laptop

What I have been trying to do for the past 4 days is install Madwifi for my PCMCIA.

I get stuck after the "make" command.

I receive the error:

Checking if all requirements are met... FAILED
    Only kernel versions 2.4.x and above are supported.
    You have .
    make: *** [configcheck] Error 1

I don't get it.

As stated above, I have kernel version 2.6.13.15.

I see several others have received this error, has anyone gotten past it? If so, what did you do???

A desperate for wireless Linux nubie.

Hmm, with 9.3, the madwifi drivers are included in the installation media. I suggest you search in yast's install and remove software for this package "km_wlan", then use ath_pci as the module name in the network configuration for your wireless card.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Already uninstalled

Hi.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

I went under YaST2 and searched for km_wlan. It appears this not installed on my system as the box is clear (no checkmark).

Under YaST2, my Network Device name is: wlan-bus-pci-0000:07:00.0.

My system identifies this card as 07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (NIC rev 01).

The module name in the network configuration was blank. I put ath_pci in it as you suggested. Nothing seems to have changed.

Actually, if I type in ifconfig ath0, it says:

ath0 error fetching interface information: Device not found.

Any other thoughts?

I have been working on this for about 4-5 days (about 5 hours -/+ each day). I have not found a solution, but I am developing a better knowledge of Linux, that's for sure!

Also, I have tried ndiswrapper, it does not work for me either, but I am not positive ndiswrapper works with the WG511T card anyhow.

I'll try anything at this point (just remember I am a neubie and may not know how to do it. ).

*sigh*

Over all I am pleased with Linux, but I am hoping all installs are not this difficult with Linux.

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I went under YaST2 and searched for km_wlan. It appears this not installed on my system as the box is clear (no checkmark).
    Well, install it then. That should solve the problems, all it seems is that the system just can't find the drivers. That package should install the drivers.

Just Joined!

But

remove software for this package "km_wlan"
    OK...wait, why would I install it, you said to remove it? I am confused.

Another site I stumbled upon also said to remove it as it conflicted with Madwifi.

I can easily put it back in, I just want to make sure that is what I am suppose to do.

Somone also mentioned that my "make info" specs in Madwifi show it is not seeing the kernel, and after CD-ing into the Madwifi directory to put:

make KERNELPATH: /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15-obj/i386/default

However, that did not work either. It just told me "No rule to make target".

It does seem that Madwifi can not see my kernel version, but I do not understand then why that command after "make" did not work.

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

what i meant was goto yasts "install and remove software" section and install km_wlan package. Sorry for the misleading grammar of sorts.

The km_wlan package works with atheros cards, my dad's laptop has an Atheros 5004 card and installing this package made the card to work.

Now, the no rule to make target means either the makefile doesn't contain the target, or you typed it incorrectly. (I don't think there is a space after the KERNELPATH)