Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, This question is for the Arch users (unless of course you know the answer ). I have a laptop and Arch seems to meet all my needs except ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux and Network Backgrounding

Hey everyone,

This question is for the Arch users (unless of course you know the answer ). I have a laptop and Arch seems to meet all my needs except for one thing I can't seem to find documentation on and that is backgrounding network detection during boot. I was told by someone on the Arch IRC channel to put an @ symbol in front of the relevant networking info in /etc/rc.conf during boot. This didn't work as I ended up getting some errors during boot. Any ideas anyone?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Look in /etc/rc.conf and drop down to "DAEMONS". Make sure you don't put a space between the "@" and "network". It should look like this:
    Code:
    @network
    If that doesn't work, you might be starting some daemons out of the proper start order. Also, some daemons shouldn't be backgrounded at all because certain daemons depend on others, depending on what all you have in that section.

Hope this helps!

BTW: What errors are you getting?

Thanks Ozar. Works like a charm.

As for the errors, they were from last time I tried Arch. I don't remember 100% but I believe it was because I had the @ symbols in the wrong place plus there was a space.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Bryan
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

oz
    forum.guy
    Cool - glad you are up and running...

If you'll stick with Arch for a while, you will most likely find it easier to use than most other distros. No fancy GUI tools are included, but once you know how it all works, you won't want any. The pacman package manager is totally awesome. I've grown to like it much better than apt-get or emerge.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

I have only been using it for a day now and am already loving it. Pacman is awesome. As for the fancy GUI tools, that is part of the reason I left Suse because I want to learn the inner workings of a distro.

Bryan