Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys .. just want to ask... why does internet connection using linux most of the time does not connect at the specified or common websites such as yahoo google, friendster ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux internet connection consumes my internet card!!!

guys .. just want to ask... why does internet connection using linux most of the time does not connect at the specified or common websites such as yahoo google, friendster and the like? ? ? (sad to say but m not xpriencing this in w***dws) just wonderin... m using linuxant's free driver for intr modem...cn u guys gve me a clear answer on this? thanks alot.. .

error messages like .... can't find "website name" at port 80....

-> cant find host "website name"
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

What type of device is this? A wireless device, a cable modem, what? What chipset does it use? Is the connection problem intermittent or just confined to certain websites?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    its a conexant modem. . . the sites i visited most commonly are friendster, yahoo mail, google/linux and forums like this. . most of the time the errors appears on either one of the sites iv mentioned or sometimes all of the sites...
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Is there any pattern to it? Does the connection drop, say, every 15 minutes or so?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    nope... it does not drop.. but it keeps on prompting the error message when i load a page... is it bcoz of the capability of the "free" driver? coz m not experiencing this on w****s

Quote Originally Posted by icedtea
    nope... it does not drop.. but it keeps on prompting the error message when i load a page... is it bcoz of the capability of the "free" driver? coz m not experiencing this on w****s
    Have you tried a full-featured non-commercial program to load the drivers, such as NDISWrapper?

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants