Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just upgraded from Mandriva LE2005 to 2006, when I had previously had a successful wireless connection (on a Zyxel Zyair g300 card, with (I think) a Prism chipset). Now ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Upgrading distro broke wireless, getting SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

I've just upgraded from Mandriva LE2005 to 2006, when I had previously had a successful wireless connection (on a Zyxel Zyair g300 card, with (I think) a Prism chipset). Now I cant get the connection back with any of the nice gui based tools that I sort of understand, so I'm falling back on the CLI.
    Using
    Code:
    iwconfig eth0 essid mynetname
    doesnt give any trouble, but if I then use
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    I get the error
    Code:
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted
    I've seen a SIOCSIFFLAGS error before, so at first I thought it was the same problem I'd had here (from about the 3rd post down), but a closer look reveals that that was SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory.

There doesn't seem to be anything relevant on the forums, but google of the "Operation not permitted" error gives me one useful looking page. This page suggests I check the permissions of the file dev/net/tun. This file indeed wasn't readable/writeable by the user, so I changed the permissions to 666 (and tried with 777), but this doesnt change the result.

To be honest I'm not sure why it would, since one only runs ifconfig as root, so I wouldnt have expected user permissions to be relevant.

I fear I have reached the edge of my ability, so any help would be greatfully recieved.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027

Upgrading distro broke wireless, getting SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted RESOLVED

eth0 was already up....
    I think that qualifies as a very special kind of stupid, to not think of that...

quite why I couldnt ping before, if the interface was up, I'm not sure. Perhaps it was the
    Code:
    dhclient eth0
    which follows that was the key command. However, whatever it was, all is now working again.

Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time
    Toodle-oo
    Giles
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are powerless. Our greatest fear is Microsoft"
    Registered linux user #391027