Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have a computer running Windows XP. I have another computer at my disposal that I'm going to use as "backup server". The purpose is this: On my Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backup Server => What Linux?

Hello,

I have a computer running Windows XP.

I have another computer at my disposal that I'm going to use as "backup server".

The purpose is this:

On my Windows PC, I want to be able to copy files to a certain location on the Linux computer. (Lets say, a network share called "backup") Both computers will be linked by an ethernet crossover cable.

What Linux version do you suggest for this kind of use? Any suggestions for the installation?

Please note that I'm an advanced Windows user/programmer, but I only have a basic knowledge of Linux.

Thx for your answer.

BTW: 'basic' means: have done a Gentoo installation etc.

Linux User
    A lot of distros could do the job. It is one of the biggest Linux problems: to choose a distro. I would recommend a stable one, for example Slackware, a very, very stable distro. You can use Gentoo if you had previous experience with it.
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    I was thinking about a small, easy version with specific networking and maybe storage capacities?

Also, what format should I use for the network share? ReiserFS?
    My Windows XP machine uses NTFS but I don't think that this is a *good* option for the Linux machine?

Specs of the Linux wannabe computer:
    AMD 500Mhz, 256MB RAM, 80GB harddisk

Linux User
    Well, then one of the options should be Vector Linux. It's lightweight and based on Slackware. Designed for computers like yours. Or if you want something really small, try Damn Small Linux (only 50 Mbs, and it's quite popular).
    As for filesystem ReiserFs or ext3, it's your choice. Both have journal, so... NTFS should work fine (you can have read access from Linux, but not write; just like with FAT).

Hope this helps,

Fallen_Angel
    Linux registered user #358842
    Human knowledge belongs to the world.

Just Joined!
    And, after installation, how do I setup network folders etc?
    I want the Linux PC to function without mouse/keyboard/screen, everything should be done with the crossover cable.