Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by Dapper Dan Or are you coming to us from another O.S.? Wah, an alien :o! (just kidding)...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan
    Or are you coming to us from another O.S.?
    Wah, an alien :o!

(just kidding)

Almost forgot about this thread, sorry.

Well, ends up I did blow out my onboard network which is kind of annoying. No matter, I just installed a 3Com NIC and reinstalled slackware and it worked, it's nice because it automatically worked with slack's dinosaur 2.4.x kernel it uses by default. I was really losing hope there for a bit, what I needed to do was to sleep on it and get back to the problem another day. It took me hours of yelling in my room and constant plugging/unplugging ethernet cords in the switch, ends up the problem was easily diagnosed once I was calm and clear headed.
    Registered Linux user #393103

Glad you got it sorted! Are you gonna upgrade to the 2.6 kernel?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Yep, just installed the 2.6.10 testing/ kernel from the second disc. I don't have a 10.2 iso cd, only a 10.1 cd so that was the testing kernel I put on. I did upgrade to 10.2 through swaret though. I used to complain about the lack of a real package manager in slackware but after browsing through linuxpackages.net and finding swaret I'm finding that slack is actually quite spiffy. I'm just glad I got my network up and running. A few days ago I had actually installed ubuntu back on (which was on my 20GB drive before my onboard net failed) and things were going great until I wrecked xorg by clearing out my /tmp I'm just glad I put Slack on, it feels nostalgic but very safe and stable.

Just Joined!
    Glad you got it working. I was going to input that it sounds like an NIC issue. I'm surprised that happened though. With running a server, and going through about 5GB of bandwidth in a week, I never had a NIC mess up on me other than when I had it half installed.

You didn't actually install XP SP2 did you?

Quote Originally Posted by George Harrison
    I used to complain about the lack of a real package manager in slackware but after browsing through linuxpackages.net and finding swaret I'm finding that slack is actually quite spiffy.... I'm just glad I put Slack on, it feels nostalgic but very safe and stable.
    There's a real solid and stable feeling to Slackware that makes you feel.... secure? I don't know why exactly but Slackware just has a special feeling of dependability about it that I've never experienced with any other distro including Gentoo. I've never used swaret but have been happy with slapt-get. Last night, I downloaded PocketLinux which is based on Slackware 10.1. It uses slackpkg. I believe they're going the route of limited apps like Ubuntu which I think is a good idea. Since you also like Ubuntu, PoxketLinux may be one you'd like to burn as well.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

cool, thanks guys.

heh, funny story. I did almost isntall XP, I actually had it in setup and I almosted formatted the drive as NTFS but I just couldn't do it. So, I just grabbed the old NIC and threw it in there, tis a shame as I only have three PCI ports and I had to remove my TV card

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3