Find the answer to your Linux question:
The Setup: A NETGEAR router (WGT624 v3 108Mbps) A desktop computer wired to the router, running FC4 A laptop, running ubuntu (without GNOME), with a NETGEAR wireless PC card (WG511T ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Wireless Woes With the WG511T

The Setup:
    A NETGEAR router (WGT624 v3 108Mbps)
    A desktop computer wired to the router, running FC4
    A laptop, running ubuntu (without GNOME), with a NETGEAR wireless PC card (WG511T 108Mbps)

What works:
    The desktop is working perfectly, internet is working, only problem is SSH, but that could be something else.

What doesn't work
    It seems like the wireless card for the laptop isn't able to connect to the internet. I can ping the router and the desktop computer, but when I try to ping my DSL modem, I get
    Code:
     connect:  Network is unreachable
    Wait, scrap that, now I can't even ping over my LAN, I'm getting something like "Destination Host Unreachable"

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I read some of the docs on madwifi.org, but they don't seem to be working for me

I installed the madwifi driver and wpasupplicant using apt-get, should I try using WEP instead of WPA-PSK? What's the difference between the two?

Are you using DHCP/some other dynamic scheme or do you have a static IP Address set up? What is the exact topology of this network ( i.e. What connects to what? )

Linux Newbie
    I don't have a static IP address, so I'm using DHCP.

The DSL modem is connected to the NETGEAR router. The desktop computer is attached to the router with an ethernet cable, and the laptop has a wireless card attached to it.

If you need more info, just ask. Thanks for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    bump eighty-some views and nobody knows?

Anyway, the LAN seems to be working again, SSH is working too, but I still can't get on the internet using the laptop computer. Does anyone know if it's a problem with the madwifi driver or something else? Should I try to compile a newer version of the driver? I have WinME on the same laptop, and the wireless is working fine.