Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
clutching at straws/! we too will.... try two things. 1.see the red circle icon in the taskbar? click that. suse help center opens. have a look at chapter 38.4. follow ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

clutching at straws/!
    we too will....

try two things.
    1.see the red circle icon in the taskbar?
    click that.
    suse help center opens.
    have a look at chapter 38.4.
    follow that in working with yast.
    may be it will help to set a lower mtu like 1492 instead of the default 1500.
    it worked for me in mandrake.

2. ask your cable ISP for help.
    may be they wont work with DHCP.
    in which case they must supply you with Ip details.

tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Just Joined!
    Progress (sorta)! I looked at chapter 38.4 and read through it. It didn't help, because all that was self-explanetory. Then I went to the yast module for network card. I didn't change anything around. Then I ended my user session, logged back in, and ran the terminal and logged into root. I typed
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    and I GOT 2 PARAGRAPHS! It actually returned lo. I didn't write anything down, and tried
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    Well, of course, that just hung there. So, I opened a new shell and closed out of the one i was in. I shouldn't have because now when I do
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    it only returns one paragraph like before.

Something I noticed when I start up linux is that there is usually an error message that says "Power Save Daemon not running; ____ to start". So, I went into terminal and typed that in as root. It said Daemon already running....

I saw that the name of the daemon was rcpowersaved.... I figured, hey, since yast is having trouble running the DHCP daemon, so I'll try that. I typed in the same directory as rcpowersaved and changed "rcpowersaved" to "dhcpd" so it ended up being "[directory]/dhcpd start" and I got a return saying there was a configuration error. There were like 10 lines that pointed to the "n" in "netmask":
    Code:
    subnet netmask:  numeral expected
    I think the problem is that I need to type in my Subnet somewhere....

Also, you guys kept telling me to type in "dhcpcd eth0". I got rid of the "c" since I don't know why it was there, and it didn't hang, I actually got the same response as I did when I typed "[directory]/dhcpd start"! Maybe this will help some....

Gotta go, gonna be late for school!

Quote Originally Posted by LoserDude27
    Progress (sorta)! I looked at chapter 38.4 and read through it. It didn't help, because all that was self-explanetory. Then I went to the yast module for network card. I didn't change anything around. Then I ended my user session, logged back in, and ran the terminal and logged into root. I typed
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    and I GOT 2 PARAGRAPHS! It actually returned lo. I didn't write anything down, and tried
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    Well, of course, that just hung there. So, I opened a new shell and closed out of the one i was in. I shouldn't have because now when I do
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    it only returns one paragraph like before.
    I think you might have made a mistake. Typing "ifconfig" without any arguments should return two paragraphs -- one for eth0 and one for lo. But typing "ifconfig eth0" specifies that you are only interested in eth0, and don't want to hear anything about other interfaces. Are you sure you typed "ifconfig eth0" when it returned two paragraphs?? It certainly sounds more like you forgot to specifiy eth0.

I saw that the name of the daemon was rcpowersaved.... I figured, hey, since yast is having trouble running the DHCP daemon, so I'll try that. I typed in the same directory as rcpowersaved and changed "rcpowersaved" to "dhcpd" so it ended up being "[directory]/dhcpd start" and I got a return saying there was a configuration error. There were like 10 lines that pointed to the "n" in "netmask":
    Code:
    subnet netmask:  numeral expected
    Please be very careful with making changes like this. Screwing around with startup daemons like this could break your system meaning you'll have to reinstall. Try your best to change things back to the way they were before you do anything else.

Also, you guys kept telling me to type in "dhcpcd eth0". I got rid of the "c" since I don't know why it was there, and it didn't hang, I actually got the same response as I did when I typed "[directory]/dhcpd start"! Maybe this will help some....
    I think we can conclude that this is not a dhcp issue, and that you probably won't be able to use dhcp no matter how hard you try. You stated somewhere near the start of this post (or your other one) that you have all the info you need from your ISP, so it sounds like you might have just configured things badly in YAST. I don't have my suse box with me at the moment so I can't help too much, but I can advise that you spend as much time as poss reading setup instructions in the help documentation on your computer and browsing around the web to see if people have had similar issues or even written tutorials.

In the end you may have to follow drtvasudevan's advice to call your ISP to ask for help. No shame in that

Keep us updated.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Linux Newbie
    it is my understanding that the dhcpd is for configuring your own pc to serve as a server for pc s in your network. (chapter 43)
    it is not for configuring your pc to obtain a connection from another pc like - in this case your services providers server.
    you still have to work with yast networking module.
    if the submask is missing redo the config.
    and in my pc i did disable the IPv6 and till then i could not connect.
    ipv6 is next generation browsing and we have to wait till the next generation is in place to use that.!
    so keep it disabled in all your experiments.
    nothing is lost doing that.

but it is your connection one has to work with.

tv
    ps i dontknow anyhting about cable modems. but by any chance yours is not a usb one is it?
    are you ablr to connect to net with windows? some details?

Just Joined!
    Ok, here's the deal. I'm perfectly able to connect to the net with Windows (that's what I'm on right now). My Cable modem has an ethernet cord that goes to my router, which connects to my 2 PCs via ethernet cords.

Since I normally use a router, I just now tried to set up my configurations for a static IP address on Linux (I need a static IP address for some games I play in order for the ports to be forwarded). I read through the SUSE Help file on the dhcp daemon and it helped considerably. I found out how to change access privileges so I could edit my dchpd config file (/etc/dhcpd.conf). I made a copy of the original file that was already there so I could revert back to it in case I screwed up really bad.

I read through the SUSE Help Manual thing about the dhcpd config and I tried to set it up by changing the given example to suit my needs. The original config file had many errors when I ran
    Code:
    rcdhcpd start
    They were all syntax errors because, for some reason, the config had a bunch of blank spots. I got rid of the blank spots and I encountered a new error: something like "Ignoring eth0 - no subnet assigned (0.0.0.0)" I can't figure out what this means, because I did enter a subnet and a netmask.

Before all this, I attempted setting up a static IP address rather than letting dhcp assign one, but it didn't work.

I don't want to call my ISP because I've called them before and it involves up to an hour of being on hold, then getting some guy who has no idea how to help, and instead puts you through everything you've tried a billion times already.

LoserDude27, you are using SUSE 10 right? Have you tried setting up things in yast i.e. telll the card to use dhcp or enter a static ip. Under routing heading, enter the ip address of your router as the default gateway. Under nameserver, enter your DNS servers. Under hardware details, tell it to bring the card up on boot etc....
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie
    alex, the dhcp daeman invoked by dhcpd is for configuring one's pc as to connect to other pc on the network or for connecting to the internet?
    what i mean is it is for configuring a server or a client?
    (and in unix parlence what is understood by those terms are just opposite of common parlence, right?)

and loser has gone the yast way but did not get things through!

tv

Just Joined!
    Yes, I've entered all that stuff into yast except the DNS servers, because in nameservers it looks like the spaces are names, not addresses. I have 2 DNS servers that are necessary for my static IP, both xx.xxx.xx.xx, not words. Do I enter the addresses there? I also heard that you can just make up Domain Names because they really don't matter....

Linux Newbie
    the domain name does not matter in the sense: to the OS you have a domain name, as the basic configuration is for a system in some org. so what ever name you enter for your own pc wont matter .
    here you are specifying the domain of your ISP and so it does matter.
    enter them. it can be numbers- in fact all are.

tv

Quote Originally Posted by drtvasudevan
    alex, the dhcp daeman invoked by dhcpd is for configuring one's pc as to connect to other pc on the network or for connecting to the internet?
    what i mean is it is for configuring a server or a client?
    (and in unix parlence what is understood by those terms are just opposite of common parlence, right?)

and loser has gone the yast way but did not get things through!

tv
    the dhcp daemon invoked by dhcpd command is for configuring your computer to get its address from a dhcp server e.g. a router on the LAN.

LoserDude27, you do have to enter either the ip addresses of your isp into the DNS server fields e.g. XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. If you have setup your dns servers on your router already, just enter the ip address of your router into the 1st DNS entry and the router should forward the dns request from your computer to the isp's dns servers.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast