Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hi, I need help with my internet connection on SuSE 10.0.... I didn't see this part of the forum, and I already posted in another so here's the link if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Internet Configuration

Hi, I need help with my internet connection on SuSE 10.0.... I didn't see this part of the forum, and I already posted in another so here's the link if you could please help me.

http://new.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-61730.html

Linux Newbie
    suse 10.
    most probably during installation it has been done.
    try to browse. (i guess you ahve already)
    if you used firefox and did not get through try konqueror
    if ok then you need to alter the IVp6 setting in firefox.search this forum for the method.

if you dont get through with both, open yast control center (you need root pw) and click on network devices and go through the wizard.
    that should set up the modem for you.

tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Just Joined!
    I've done that. My main problems are I don't understand what to enter in some of the fields in YaST2 for a lot of the settings. In DHCP where am I supposed to enter my DHCP Server Address, rather than my regular IP Address? When things ask for a Domain name and server, what do I put there? Are there any any places where I need to enter my 3 DNS Server addresses?

Hopefully those more in-depth questions help. Please help, it would be greatly appreciated!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by LoserDude27
    I've done that. My main problems are I don't understand what to enter in some of the fields in YaST2 for a lot of the settings. In DHCP where am I supposed to enter my DHCP Server Address, rather than my regular IP Address? When things ask for a Domain name and server, what do I put there? Are there any any places where I need to enter my 3 DNS Server addresses?
    in the case of DHCP you need not enter any value.
    if you had been browsing from windows it has been done already.
    the modem has the values.
    just enable dhcp and start browsing.
    if your service provider has given you documetns in staed look at them and the details you need will be there.
    these things differ from place to place and service to service.
    can't help you there.

yast assumes your pc has a domain.
    you see the name when you open a terminal.
    usually a imaginary one.
    not important.

let us know if you have already tried to browse and what is the result.
    it is important that the modem is switched on when the operating system starts.

tv
    Be happy. Life is too short to be unhappy!

Just Joined!
    Ok, if all I need to do is just "enable" DHCP, how can I get it to just "enabled"? Under Network Services in YaST, it has me type in my DHCP Server Address, and in another spot there is First IP Address and Last IP Address.... If I erase any of these, it won't let me continue without entering something. Just recently, I've discovered another problem. After I click the finish button, it goes through its steps and when it tries to start DHCP, it says something like "Unable to start DHCP. Do you want to re-enter your settings?".

I'm not trying to be doubtful, I'm just a newbie to Linux and most of the IP configuration stuff. I most likely just overlooked a simple button that said "Enable DHCP" or something.

Yes, I have tried browsing. I always get the same response: in Konquer (or whatever), I get Unknown Domain Host (I think). I get a similar response in Firefox. I used to use Firefox on Windows, so I know it's the error message that you get when you aren't connected.

I always have my cable modem plugged in. When necessary, I will unplug it and plug it back in while my computer is shut down. This was recommended to me by my ISP, Charter Communications, when I was having trouble with my internet connections on Windows. Ever since there has been a problem with Linux connecting, it has been working on Windows, so this isn't a hardware issue.

Linux Engineer
    try "ifconfig eth0" and then "dhcpcd eth0" from the cli, then "ping -c 3 www.google.com", tell us what response you get...must be run as root.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    One question... How do I log in as root? Like I said, I'm very new to this. I don't understand anything about terminal yet either. When I log in, I'm logged in as Adam (my name). I know my root password because I need to type that in every single time I start a YaST module.

Just open a command line terminal and type,
    Code:
    su -
    <your root password>
    That will make you root.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Thank you, Smolloy.

This is what I got:

Code:
    linux&#58; /home/adam # ifconfig eth0
    eth0     Link encap&#58;Ethernet HWaddr 00&#58;40&#58;2B&#58;6B&#58;65&#58;A3
           inet6 addr&#58; fe80&#58;&#58;240&#58;2bff&#58;fe6b&#58;65a3/64 Scope&#58;Link
           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU&#58; 1500 Metric&#58;1
           RX packets&#58;0 errors&#58;0 dropped&#58;0 overrun&#58;0 frame&#58;0
           TX packets&#58;0 errors&#58;0 dropped&#58;0 overrun&#58;0 frame&#58;0
           collisions&#58;0 txqueuelen&#58;1000
           RX bytes&#58;0 &#40;0.0 b&#41; TX bytes&#58;0 &#40;0.0 b&#41;
           Interrupt&#58;9 Base address 0xe000
    After that, I typed in dhcpcd eth0, pressed enter and it just hung there, so I had to open a new shell. I then logged in as root and did ping -c 3 www.google.com:

Code:
    linux&#58;/home/adam # ping -c 3 www.google.com
    ping&#58;unknown host www.google.com
    That's the same thing it says when I try to connect to any site using Konqueror.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LoserDude27
    Thank you, Smolloy.

This is what I got:

Code:
    linux&#58; /home/adam # ifconfig eth0
    eth0     Link encap&#58;Ethernet HWaddr 00&#58;40&#58;2B&#58;6B&#58;65&#58;A3
           inet6 addr&#58; fe80&#58;&#58;240&#58;2bff&#58;fe6b&#58;65a3/64 Scope&#58;Link
           UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS MULTICAST MTU&#58; 1500 Metric&#58;1
           RX packets&#58;0 errors&#58;0 dropped&#58;0 overrun&#58;0 frame&#58;0
           TX packets&#58;0 errors&#58;0 dropped&#58;0 overrun&#58;0 frame&#58;0
           collisions&#58;0 txqueuelen&#58;1000
           RX bytes&#58;0 &#40;0.0 b&#41; TX bytes&#58;0 &#40;0.0 b&#41;
           Interrupt&#58;9 Base address 0xe000
    After that, I typed in dhcpcd eth0, pressed enter and it just hung there, so I had to open a new shell. I then logged in as root and did ping -c 3 www.google.com:

Code:
    linux&#58;/home/adam # ping -c 3 www.google.com
    ping&#58;unknown host www.google.com
    That's the same thing it says when I try to connect to any site using Konqueror.
    That's ok, sometimes dhcp can log up...ok, you eth0 is not connected properly you should have two paragraphs and not one, you have the "eth0" one but not the "lo" one so try this

Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    And if it works properly do this to make sure both eth0 and lo are returned
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0
    if you get both paragraphs returned, eth0 and lo, then run the dhcp startup
    Code:
    dhcpcd eth0
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast