Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I have Fedora Core 4 and everything seems to work fine. I also could get to run the module/driver for my WLAN USB. But in the network configuration I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

WLAN DHCP doesnt work

Hi,
    I have Fedora Core 4 and everything seems to work fine. I also could get to run the module/driver for my WLAN USB. But in the network configuration I cant make it active when using ip over DHCP. And when I use static IP it becomes active, but cant go online (I use Firefox). Do I have to make special settings for that then?
    I'm a beginner and would be happy for any help.

Did you put in your router's ip as the default gateway address when using static ip?
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    I think so, yes.

If you put in your static ip, and it didn't have a conflict with another box with the same ip, and you entered the subnet mask correctly along with your router's ip as the default gateway, Im not sure what could be the problem. You went into:
    Code:
    system-config-network
    and set these there? Did you check the box to have your network start at boot? Are you by any chance using WEP encryption?

Just Joined!
    I'm using WEP, yes. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Salim87
    I'm using WEP, yes. Why?
    Turn it off to get your connection running if you haven't already done so. Then, once you get things sorted, turn it back on. I can't tell you the times I've sworn that my connection problems couldn't be because of WEP because I knew the key was entered correctly, only to find out that this was the problem all along.

Just Joined!
    omg!!!!
    Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!! Finally my WLAN seems to work, and I can go online. It is really because of WEP. But now WEP is turned off, but I suppose when turning encryption on again, WLAN goes down!
    What and how do I have to do it, to make it work with WEP encryption?

Quote Originally Posted by Salim87
    omg!!!!
    Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!! Finally my WLAN seems to work, and I can go online. It is really because of WEP. But now WEP is turned off, but I suppose when turning encryption on again, WLAN goes down!
    What and how do I have to do it, to make it work with WEP encryption?
    You have a place to include the WEP key in system-config-network under wireless. WEP key should be:
    0xyour_wep_key_here.
    Put 0x in front of the key. The key must be exactly the same as the key in your router's wireless configuration. When the two match, you will be on line, encrypted. Mind you, WEP can be broken into if someone really wants, but it is yet another locked door they must work their way into. Enough locked doors will likely make a would be invader look for an easier target.

Just Joined!
    What a pity, it still doesnt work! *cries*

Btw. : Shared Authentication - should it be activated or not activated?

I started System->Settings->Network, it started system-network-configurator. I went on WLAN and set there my Key:
    0x30363237313630343332373433 (changed numbers)
    (it is the WEP-128 HEX code I entered, I also have a WEP-128 ASCII, which I tried before without 0x - but it didnt make a difference.)

Help me, please, help me!

Just Joined!
    By the way: I've got a FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7050, if it helps.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast