Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to convert a linux computer to a router? I am pretty green when it comes to networking, but I have a strong desire to make this work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Make Linux box into a router

Is it possible to convert a linux computer to a router? I am pretty green when it comes to networking, but I have a strong desire to make this work. I currently use my SBC supplied DSL router (pppoe) connected to my computer. The router is junk to put it mildly. I have to restart the thing like every half hour or so. Plus I'd love to have one less piece of hardware plugged in. My goal is to do away with it and "bring it inside". Hardware wise I assume all I need is two NIC cards which I have. Is there software to make this easier? Or does a particular distro have some edge in this area? I'm looking for some input at this point. Maybe a link to some howto's to see if this is do-able. Thanks.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

Re: Make Linux box into a router

Quote Originally Posted by ThoughtVelocity
    Is it possible to convert a linux computer to a router? I am pretty green when it comes to networking, but I have a strong desire to make this work. I currently use my SBC supplied DSL router (pppoe) connected to my computer. The router is junk to put it mildly. I have to restart the thing like every half hour or so. Plus I'd love to have one less piece of hardware plugged in. My goal is to do away with it and "bring it inside". Hardware wise I assume all I need is two NIC cards which I have. Is there software to make this easier? Or does a particular distro have some edge in this area? I'm looking for some input at this point. Maybe a link to some howto's to see if this is do-able. Thanks.
    You for one, either need two NIC cards and a external DSL modem, doesn't have to be a router, but has to at least be a modem, said modem needs to work with your ISP, or a internal DSL modem, which also needs to work with your ISP.

Second, you need a (2nd) NIC to connect to a network hub(not router, they are two entirley different things) which will connect to all of your PC's.

Third, you need to set up a DHCP server or assign all of your network PC's static IPs.

Fourth and foremost, you need to set up IPtables to NAT your network, if you have servers running on them id recommend doing some hostname forwarding, but anyways now I'm getting a little overboard.

Disclaimer: I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ON HOW TO SET UP IPTABLES, I only know you need to use it.
    Nothing is worse than ten penguins fighting over which is better, vi or emacs.
    Registered Linux User #404402
    Finally I'm back on LF after a long while.

You, know I have probably not thought enough about this. What I was refering to as the router is in fact what you say is the modem. That's what I was hoping to eliminate. Well I guess that makes my mind up. Thanks.
    "If you are out to describe the truth leave elegance to the tailor."
    -Einstein

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There are a few distros which can do this for you automaticially without any hassle, I'd suggest you take a look at either Smoothwall or IPCop. Also, both act as firewalls, require low spec hardware (PII, 32MB RAM) and are relatively painless to setup.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Yep, I use IPCop and love it. Though it is not a Modem, it is a multi inteface firewall and router.

Or you could buy a Linux router...

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7322

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here