Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
deltaflyer Do you know off hand any WiFi cards that works right out of the box? What Wifi Card did you use? Since I'll be in the market for another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What WiFi Card did you use?

deltaflyer

Do you know off hand any WiFi cards that works right out of the box? What Wifi Card did you use? Since I'll be in the market for another WiFi card I need one that will provide the least amount of head ache.

offhand i don't know any that work out of the box,i use a belkin f5d7010 54g wireless card with ndiswrapper. i have heard that cards with the atheros or orinocco chipset work as well

andy

forgot to mention,there are also drivers for acx111 & prism gt you can download for suse
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Re: Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by LUNITIC
    I figured out how to direct to the file that I needed loaded but once I loaded everything ndiswrapper came back and said that the drivers were wrong. So I'm back to square one.

What I realized is that I probably should seek out hardware that's a little bit easier to configure. Nothing I have done will allow me to start this WiFi adapter.

Is there some PCMCIA Card that works right off the bat using Suse 10.0? I think I should start there first.

Please advise. Thanks
    you are using the drivers which came on the cd with your card right? If it is not working, see the forum topic deltaflyer linked to, follow the links on that post to the ndiswrapper wiki and see which drivers people used to get their cards working. Then get those drivers.

Also for cards which work right out of the box, take a look at the madwifi project, these cards include atheros based and some atmel based ones. In my experience, the Atheros 5004 card in my dad's laptop worked out of the box in SUSE 9.3 with the installation of the km_wlan package.

Hope this helps.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    if you are having problems with your pcmcia card, why use it?
    i have a d-link dwl-g730ap pocket router/access point that i use to enable wireless on my linux box. its portable and it is just a device that 'turns ethernet into wireless'. i suggest you have a look at the d-link website and see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by cowpat
    if you are having problems with your pcmcia card, why use it?
    i have a d-link dwl-g730ap pocket router/access point that i use to enable wireless on my linux box. its portable and it is just a device that 'turns ethernet into wireless'. i suggest you have a look at the d-link website and see what you come up with.
    yeah thoes are great they are actualy considered a wireless bridge and so simple i have used them in hotelswith a spare lappie and another nic also installed when we need to extend the wireless to the far reaches of convention centers that failed to cover the whole room
    er...that is not the one i was thinking of but same idea same function
    (me likes tossing out the a/c adaptor and using an usb adaptor to take the 5vdc from the lappie instead) </offtopic>
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

WifI

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions and I am still trying to work this thing from either the external or the internal and so far no luck. I put an Atheros Wifi card in my machine and althought Suse 10 see it I still can't access the internet, so I'm working this issue from several stand points.

Any suggestions?

so from that i assume ndiswrapper is working i.e. you can see the card in iwconfig but can you see the interface listed if you type ifconfig in a root shell? the interface will be wlan0 by default unless you called it something else

but i also asume from that that you didnt bring up the nic that meane start the interface wlan0

moved to networking
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!

Re: What WiFi Card did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by LUNITIC
    Do you know off hand any WiFi cards that works right out of the box? What Wifi Card did you use? Since I'll be in the market for another WiFi card I need one that will provide the least amount of head ache.
    I am using SuSE 10 and my Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG wifi works. I have used a Zyxel ZyAIR G-100 with no problems. Some wifi cards need firmware downloads before you can use them in Linux. Try checking if you have one of those cards.

Just Joined!

Still trying to get online

I had to drop the Knoppix CD in to get back online.

I tried to configure everything that I know how to configure in Suse 10 to get online. After I edit my WiFi device Suse starts the Kinternet and the icon moves the quick bar in the lower righthand of the screen. After I right click on it, no devices are found although Yast found the network card.

I think the problem maybe a driver issue but I don't know enough about Linux to go exploring that option.

Linux User
    ndiiswrapper install wikipage
    Use this list to find the corect driver for your card, the one that comes with it doesn't always work under ndiswrapper.
    I also found the Linux home networking to be helpful.
    registered linux user: 387197

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast