Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have an ADSL Router. I can reach the outside world with FTP, SSH and TELNET but I can not reach my own computer from outside world. The ip ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HOW TO: FTP behind ADSL Router

Hello,

I have an ADSL Router. I can reach the outside world with FTP, SSH and TELNET but I can not reach my own computer from outside world. The ip I got is 10.0.0.150 which is ofcourse only valid between the router and my ethernet card. I really need to be able to FTP to my computer from the outside world. What should I do? I am able telnet to the router to change the routing table but I do not know in which way to change it? How can I see my ip for the outside world?

Thank you!

Forward ports 20 and 21 from your adsl router to your computer. You can than access the computer by using your internet ip adress if you configured your ftp server correctly.
    I\'m so tired .....

Just Joined!
    I forwarded by ports(20 and 21). The external ip of my router is 84.87.52.245. I can ping this ip from my own computer but I can not ftp to it. When I ssh to another PC on the outside world and then try to ping this ip, I can not! Neither ftp. I tried this both is windows xp and Knoppix. I have the same mistake!

What can I be doing wrong?

Can there be a problem with my internet service provider?

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Two possibilities are most likely to be the case:
    1. Firewall of the adsl router is tightly closed
    2. ISP blocks ports.

Both could be true. 2 is easy to work around, change the ports on the firewall to forward to ports 20 and 21 on the computer.
    I\'m so tired .....