Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. This is the second time i try to mount NFS and it is just giving me a headache. I have configured /etc/exports correctly, that i am sure. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

NFS mount problem

Hi everyone. This is the second time i try to mount NFS and it is just giving me a headache. I have configured /etc/exports correctly, that i am sure. The service is running on both computers and every time i change something, i restart the service. Here's what i have so far:
    1. Exports file.
    2. NFS service running.
    3. ?? Here's where the problem could be: i use firestarter as my firewall and i have aloud all outbound access on the interface and allowed any inbound traffic from the NFS server's ip.
    4. Here's how i mount:
    [root@00e0295c9f23 etc]# mount //10.0.0.4/Shared /home/esteban/Desktop/NFS\ Shared/
    Error connecting to 10.0.0.4 (Connection refused)
    6539: Connection to 10.0.0.4 failed
    SMB connection failed

Can anybody tell me how i am doing this wrong? I did search for NFS threads and tutorials on this forum and google, and so far nobody has had this exact same error. I read somewhere that by default, /etc/hosts.allow, if empty, allows all access, is this correct as well?

Thanks in advanced.

Just Joined!
    It's been a while since I used NFS, but
    - have looked to see what exportfs on 10.0.0.4 shows?
    - result of telnet 10.0.0.4?
    - result of ping 10.0.0.4?

The 'connection refused' suggests that either you can't get to the remote machine, or it isn't prepared to let you mount the filesystem.
    Another possibility - the presumed username/password.

Possibly the logs on 1.0.0.4 may show something to give a clue.

I cannot telnet 10.0.0.4, tells me the connection is refused. This leads me to think that it's a problem with privileges or firewall access, it sounds like i don't have enough permissions or something else is blocking the client NFS computer. I can ping 10.0.0.4, that i can. BTW, where is exportsfs? I read somewhere to perform "exportfs -ra", but i don't know where this file is.

What do you think?

Linux Guru

Re: NFS mount problem

Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    [root@00e0295c9f23 etc]# mount //10.0.0.4/Shared /home/esteban/Desktop/NFS\ Shared/
    Is that a typo? Maybe it should be:
    Code:
    # mount //10.0.0.4/Shared /home/esteban/Desktop/NFS\ Shared/
    ...change to...
    # mount 10.0.0.4:/Shared /home/esteban/Desktop/NFS\ Shared/
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I can ping 10.0.0.4, that i can.
    You should be able to ping even if you don't have a route. Do 'route -n' to see if routing is correct.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

I corrected the typo you mentioned there and i got this new error, which unfortunately, tells me less about itself:

Code:
    mount: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)
    What am i missing? I'll go over this again from scratch, that usually works.

This is what i got from the 'route -n' command:

Code:
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    10.27.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
    169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth1
    0.0.0.0         10.27.0.1       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
    Hope this helps you help me, thanks.

Linux Guru
    Code:
    10.0.0.0        0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
    Through eth1, you have a route to anything with IP from 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.255, provided it's not blocked by your firewall. If you have control of the firewall, you can unblock all at least temporarily with 'iptables -F' to make sure that's not the problem. One Google hit says you should check the time/date coordination between the 2 machines in question. Funny how getting a new error message can sometimes mean progress....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'

I don't get this thing, i even disabled the firewall completely, you know, firestarter. I found another firewall things under '>>system settings>>security level' inside the main menu. I disabled that as well, same thing. Am i taking this error the right way, thinking that it's a restrictive permissions problem?

I enabled the firewall again cause i don't want to browse around to much without it. jejeje.

By the way, the new look of the forums looks mighty good, congrats to everyone who made it possible.
    Last edited by sheds; 12-20-2005 at 08:57 AM.