Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to set up my Fedora Core 4 installation on my laptop here to communicate to the internet over GPRS through my mobile phone while I'm away from my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Bluetooth connection through Nokia 6230 and Vodafone UK... Problem

I'm trying to set up my Fedora Core 4 installation on my laptop here to communicate to the internet over GPRS through my mobile phone while I'm away from my lan, and I'm having a problem or two getting it to communicate.

My bluetooth adaptor is working fine, and it can see the phone. Here's my config:

I can set up rfcomm0 correctly to establish the serial port, file /etc/rfcomm.conf seems to configure the port correctly - the mac address for the phone is right, and I can use hcitool and sdptool to scan the phone and find it.

I'm configured to use wvdial to make the PPP connection - it's supposed to use AT commands to configure the interface, and then attach to the GPRS network. But it's not working.

My /etc/wvdial.conf looks like this:
    Code:
    [BluetoothMobile]
    Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
    Baud = 57600
    SetVolume = 0
    Dial Command = ATD
    Init1 = ATH
    Init2 = ATE1
    Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","Internet",0,0
    FlowControl = CRTSCTS

[Dialer GPRS]
    Phone=*99***1#
    Stupid Mode = 1
    Inherits = BluetoothMobile
    Which I took mostly from the internet. But when I do 'ifup GPRS', it seems to get as far as the Init1 sequence them drops out. The phone is connected to, it says 'accept connection from...' then asks for a passcode - I've entered the one I have configured, and I've entered different combinations, but it wont make the pairing. The Nokia phone wont let me use a blank passcode.

The logs say:

Code:
    Dec 15 20:49:37 winston ifup-ppp: pppd started for GPRS on /dev/rfcomm0 at 57600
    Dec 15 20:49:37 winston pppd[4615]: pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: Initializing modem.
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: Sending: ATH
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: Sending: ATQ0
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: Re-Sending: ATH
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston wvdial[4627]: Modem not responding.
    Dec 15 20:50:08 winston pppd[4615]: Connect script failed
    Dec 15 20:50:09 winston pppd[4615]: Exit.
    Which I find quite odd - there is no ATQ0 in the wvdial sequence.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I've been trawling the internet to find a solution, but I cant fathom it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

sorry to post such a vague reply, but I do remember reading someone's Howto (not on this site) where he says that Nokia recommended a different bluetooth stack. I have had a quick look for it, but to no avail. But you may have better luck.

like I say, sorry about the vagueness

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Thanks for the reply - I thought this would be a little tricky...

Dont worry about the vagueness; at least I've now got a line of investigation to follow. I didn't see any recommendations at all from Nokia during my scour of the internet last time through (but I wasn't exactly looking at Nokia-produced info, I automatically assumed they'd not be interested in Linux).

Once this is going, I want to see if I can get TCP/IP running over bluetooth - it's supposedly frowned upon by the network operators, but Nokia make it available for their developers, aparrently. No reason why it shouldn't be possible for us ordinary mortals.

I'll let everyone know how I get on
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/