Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I'm sorry to have to ask this question, as I'm sure its completely my incompetence. I have slackware 9.1 newly installed, and I'm now trying to get this machine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie problem: slackware 9.1, can't get network working

Ok, I'm sorry to have to ask this question, as I'm sure its completely my incompetence. I have slackware 9.1 newly installed, and I'm now trying to get this machine onto my home network. I have an ADSL router, which I have connected the slackware box up to with an ethernet cable. I've run netconfig, and set it up with an unused ip address (192.168.1.2, set the gateway (192.168.1.1), and subnet mask (255.255.255.0). But nothing happens, I cannot ping out (except for 127.0.0.1) and nothing can ping me.

Am I missing a configuration step or something, do I need to get the ethernet card recognised? Problem is, I can't make out what the hell the card is, its one of those little onboard silver boxes, not a plug in card. Its got AMP stamped on it, and the place where I brought it no longer stocks the damn motherboard bundle I got. I would assume its a standard ethernet connection though. I know I don't have much to go by here, but any basic help would be great.

I'm pretty new with Linux, so any hints could do with the "newbie-filter" turned on please.

Cheers.
    Tim.

Linux Engineer
    what is the output of lspci??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying. Because I can't get any kind of connection, I can't paste the result of the command. But, I don't see anything about Ethernet in the list, its roughly like this:

Host bridge
    PCI bridge
    FireWare
    RAID bus controller
    ISA bridge
    IDC interface
    Multimedia audio controller
    VGA compatible controller

Many thanks.
    Tim

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    i dont know if this will do anything but could you post the info you would get if you went into the console and su into root and the run
    Code:
    ifconfig
    this will tell use if the card is there i believe thanks
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    Ok, I will have to type roughly what is there when I run ifconfig:

"lo" on the far left, then a few tabs, then the following:

Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Ok, thats it. Now, I know that I've actually run netconfig and set the address etc, so either the data above is not related to the netconfig settings, or its not updating this. Or, this is just the loopback local stuff, which I guess is ok.

Thanks again!

Linux Engineer
    that's just the loopback stuff.. eth0 isn't even up at all.. what protocol do you use to get your IP? dhcp or pppoe??
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Well, I have dhcp enabled on my router, and thats what my other (windows) machines just use. But, I get on the network ok if I give machines a static address in the range I have, such as 192.168.1.11, so I thought I'd try this with the Linux machine. I've also tried the dhcp method, but still no luck.

My router acts as the gateway onto the internet at 192.168.1.1, and I've also set this when using the static ip address.

When I installed slackware, I used the bare.i kernel, would this mean that nothing on the network side is enabled for me? I've rebooted a number of times, just in case it was missed when searching about on boot up, same result everytime though.

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    if you could figure out what your NIC is you could just recompile your kernel with the NIC driver as a module.. but the first thing to do is find out what the NIC is..

Just Joined!
    Well, its very hard to tell, all it says is AMP stamped on it. Its a tiny thing integrated with two USB ports. I think I'll purchase a new one, and put that in one of the slots. If you have any suggestions on make or model for one that Linux will support then that would be great.

Thanks for your help.

Linux Engineer
    i have a RealTek 8139 that works just fine.. uses the 8139too driver...