Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a small home network of 3 computers total. 2 gentoo computers + an old computer, running Debian 3.1, acting as a server with NFS. The gentoo computers have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

NFS write permissions problem

I have a small home network of 3 computers total. 2 gentoo computers + an old computer, running Debian 3.1, acting as a server with NFS.

The gentoo computers have the "nfs" package installed and nfs runs at startup, mounting the directory from the server ( /shared/<USER>)

The Debian server was installed with little more than the File Sharing/Server option from the options during install, and I've set up my /etc/exports file like this:
    Code:
    /shared/jason     192.168.1.106(rw,sync)
    /shared/josh     192.168.1.105(rw,sync)
    /shared/ALL     192.168.1.1/20(rw,sync)
    ([tab] doesn't seem to work anymore on linuxforums, but the above is supposed to be tabs...rather than several spaces)

The directory, /shared/, is a mounted partition on the debian server. This is that directory's /etc/fstab entry:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc4    /shared    vfat    rw    0 2
    (the harddrive is found at /dev/hdc)

The user id's for some ofthe users on each system are:
    on the server, "id josh" gives:
    Code:
    uid=1001(josh) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),60(games)
    on 192.168.1.105, "id josh" gives:
    Code:
    uid=1000(josh) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),10(wheel),18(audio),35(games)]
    i can't currently get the uid information for jason (on 192.168.1.106) nor do i know whether it works....as that computer is being used, but I've been having trouble getting josh (192.168.1.105) to work.

(EDIT: jason also has trouble writing, but mounts with no problems)

The partition mounts well on josh's computer and lets me see the contents of the server's directories (/home/josh and /home/all) but it won't let me write to that directory. From what I've read online, it seems like it may be a uid problem, but how do I fix this? I tried changing it on my client computer (josh) within /etc/passwd but a lot of things stopped working for that user (couldn't su into root, for example).

Can someone please help me? I almost have it working and it's getting frustrating with it stopping so close....letting me see, but not modify, anything.

Thanks in advance!!

Linux User
    The uid's gid's are suposed to be the same accross all systems
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Quote Originally Posted by winter
    The uid's gid's are suposed to be the same accross all systems
    Aye, to be certain set up a user/group id propogation system on the Debian server - NIS is pretty easy, and it can propogate more than just users and groups. You could also check out Radius if you want a more secure system.

Once it's in place, of course, you'll want to auto-mount the home directories for each user (automount can do that, or just have the sytem mount /home from the server at boot time), and any additional local permissions/ownerships may have to be modified.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    Aye, to be certain set up a user/group id propogation system on the Debian server - NIS is pretty easy, and it can propogate more than just users and groups. You could also check out Radius if you want a more secure system.
    Id personaly recomend ldap if you need extra security and scalebility plus all radius implamentations for any unix and clones use either a sql or a ldap database, NIS is fine for small local lan instalations if needed. Other wise its easier when adding accounts the uid and gid is the same accross all systems if there is not that many.
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis

Linux Enthusiast
    thank you for your replies...i'll get NIS and try to get it working

i have a new problem now (i temporarily relieved this other one by adding "no_root_squash" and using root to login. i tried copying an iso i had on my drive to the server (as a test) and found it copied at no faster than 15kb/s, on average around 9kb/s.

this is way too slow and i was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this or why this happened?

thanks again

Linux Enthusiast
    ok....so, while trying to get NIS working, i'm starting to feel like i might lock myself out of my client linux box, and am getting nervous doing this (adjusting /etc/passwd and all). i opened another xterm from within the GUI and noticed that it didn't find my user, so now i've stopped

can someone please offer me a step-by-step way of doing this?

i installed the "nis" package on the debian server and the tutorial i was following said that i need to run ypserv on the server (/etc/rc.d/init.d/ypserv start) but it doesn't show up at all...in that directory, /etc/init.d/ or /etc/rc#.d

what do i do? can someone please help me?